• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't hold your breath for a pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't badmouthed this profession, I do love what I do. But I'm still not buying into this whole "Pilot shortageeee!" that people think is coming. The reasons against it have already been mentioned above.
It is already here on the lower end of the business

It is already here on the lower end of the business

Of course, because no one wants a regional job paying crap wages. The majors and legacies will never have problems finding their pilots. Between regionals, corporate, military, charters, etc, there will be no shortage. Hell, CitationAir just announced belly up for its pilots. As more carriers continue to fail, there will always be plenty of pilots available.

The numbers and FACTS are there. Retirements are gonna be through the roof, & pilot training is at an all time low, its not hard to figure out

All these other 'reasons' are speculative booty chatter and have not come to pass.

Speculation vs Facts. Point Period ______

Some of you clearly have not seen the sheer amount of retirements that are coming up.

This is just for Delta, Unical, & AMR...add on everyone else...and you have a sh*t storm brewing.

2013- 695
2014- 892
2015- 939
2016- 964
2017- 1110
2018- 1258
2019- 1449
2020- 1653
2021- 1957
2022- 2016
2023- 2108
2024- 2047
2025- 2081
2026- 2011
2027- 1780
2028- 1767
2029- 1654
2030- 1240
2031- 975

If you actually beleive carriers will replace EVERY position as it becomes vacant, you have much to learn about this industry. There has been a shortage prediction for nearly 40 years. Every decade the dynamic is changed by the morphing nature of the industry. I.E. consolidation, bankruptcy, furlough, capacity reduction, etc. The future will continue to bring forms of labor reduction management that will consistently offset any impending need for hiring. I assure you there will NEVER be a shortage of pilots. Like today everyone of us were young and naive to this industry and it's promised future. Educating the aspiring youth is the only means to raise awareness and detour applicants from the lowest livable sector of the position. There will always be a swimming pool of applicants to fill a bath tub sized position.

The "shortage" is a global shortage. Looking at individual markets, such as the United States, one can argue the shortage will be minor. But on a global scale we are already seeing it. The massive growth of the Asian markets, combined with large retirements in U.S. legacy carriers, and the global slowdown in pilot training are creating a perfect storm. Delta, United and the like will NEVER have issues filling their seats. But LCCs and regional carriers may have issues. China and the middle east are downright desperate right now. Just look a the 50% and greater growth in contract salaries in just the past two years alone. Now the PIC time in aircraft type is going away - if you have any Boeing PIC time, 747 and 777 jobs are out there. A320 PIC time? Hinan Airlines has the option of an A330 captain spot based in Seattle making $200,000/yr AFTER taxes.

How about overseas jobs for a type rated CRJ pilot but with less than a thousand TPIC?

The "shortage" is a global shortage. Looking at individual markets, such as the United States, one can argue the shortage will be minor. But on a global scale we are already seeing it. The massive growth of the Asian markets, combined with large retirements in U.S. legacy carriers, and the global slowdown in pilot training are creating a perfect storm. Delta, United and the like will NEVER have issues filling their seats. But LCCs and regional carriers may have issues. China and the middle east are downright desperate right now. Just look a the 50% and greater growth in contract salaries in just the past two years alone. Now the PIC time in aircraft type is going away - if you have any Boeing PIC time, 747 and 777 jobs are out there. A320 PIC time? Hinan Airlines has the option of an A330 captain spot based in Seattle making $200,000/yr AFTER taxes.

How about overseas jobs for a type rated CRJ pilot but with less than a thousand TPIC?
Rickshaw driver in Bangkok, must be willing to do unmentionable things for tips, so yes you qualify!

Latest resources

Back