• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uwochris

Flightinfo's sexiest user
DON'T COMPARE MY JOB TO OTHER JOBS

Much has been said and written in the press concerning pilots' salaries and compensation. We have been told about how much it will cost our company, our job has been compared to others, and various subtle and not so subtle threats and intimidation tactics have been hurled at our group. In light of the current situation, please allow me, a pilot to give you a small glimpse into my world...

DON'T COMPARE MY JOB TO OTHER JOBS

...How many boardrooms explode over Long Island Sound?

...How many meetings conclude with hundreds of dead bodies?

...How many trucks cost $82 million dollars?

...How many doctors spend half the month away from their families?

...Do the children of media representatives cry when Daddy puts on his uniform to go to work because they know he'll be gone for a week?

...How many salesmen lose their jobs because they have high blood pressure?

...How many lawyers spent Christmas alone in a crash pad?

...When your wife is watching TV an the program is interrupted by a news flash of an aircraft accident, does she momentarily freeze in fear for what she might hear?

There is not another profession in the world where the consequences for mistakes are so catastrophic and unforgiving.

THE PRICE

...I pay the price when somebody loads full oxygen containers in the cargo hold

...I pay the price when a terrorist has a bone to pick

...I pay the price when loaders forget to set the locks

...I pay the price when engineers design a fuel pump not quite correctly

...I pay the price when Mother Nature decides to shift the winds...

YOU SPEAK OF THE COST

...Ask the CEO of Valu-Jet the cost of a DC-9 buried in the Everglades...The Cost..

...Ask Fred Smith the cost to scrape a DC-10 and MD-11 from the runways at Steward and Newark...The Cost

...Ask Korean Airlines the cost of a 747 that didn't quite make the runway at Guam... The Cost

...Ask Fine Air the cost to clean up a DC-8 off a Miami Street...The Cost

...Ask Bob Crandall the cost of a B-757 impacting a Colombian mountain...The Cost

...And if not for their Cool, Calm, Professionalism, what could have been the cost of a UPS B-727 that suddenly went dark and silent four miles above Chicago? How much were they worth to you that night? Industry standard or 25 % below? ...... The Cost

WHEN YOU TRY TO INTIMIDATE ME, REMEMBER

...It was I who flew Cobra gunships in the jungles of Vietnam while you worked on your Masters degree

...It was I who sat alone at the tip of an F-18 in the silent instant before I was catapulted over a cold, dark sea, while you slept peacefully in your bed

...It was I who, one night watched my wings grow heavy with ice, miles from the safety of the nearest airport praying that I had enough fuel to find clear skies, while you watched Monday night football

...It was I who flew a C-130 into Panamanian gunfire, while you decorated your Christmas tree in 1989

...It was I who faced head-on the fourth largest army in the world over the deserts of Iraq and brought it to its knees, while you watched it on CNN

...It was I who landed an A-6 on a floating piece of tarmac no bigger than your backyard, while you mowed yours

...It was I who orbited in unarmed tankers over enemy territory to replenish others sworn to protect you

...It was I who watched missiles and bullets blossom in my face, yet didn't turn and run, while you watched the flowers in your garden blossom

...It was I who buried a friend

...It is I who knows a little boy who will never play catch with his Dad, so that you may play with your grandchild

Sir, please don't try to intimidate me.

I am not your enemy, I am your asset, an asset who has experienced and accomplished things few others dare to try. Realize this and there few obstacles we can't overcome.

Author Unknown

Sorry,

(I know this won't make many happy here but I don't really care) You are worth what someone is willing to pay for since you're in a buyer (employer market). Maybe one day this will become a seller market and you'll be able to tell them how much you want, but I doubt this will be anytime soon. It doesn't matter how hard your job is, that doesn't determine how much you should make. This is why YOU need to find a way to have someone or something work for you while you're playing a round of golf, sleeping with your neighbour, or whatever you want to do.

Hey Paul go to H E Double Hockey sticks with your buyer market talk. People like you and with your experience don't know what it feels like to be offered an insulting wage for something that is hard, hard work. Its not easy to be a pilot, and the stuff listed above is the truth. A lot of companies take advantage of us and tell us this same line of F'ing crap you are spewing. So go crawl back into your bedroom you have set up with microsoft simulator, complete with cockpit drawings and multiple monitors, headsets, and sheep skin b plugs, and back off.

Chris you are really taking yourself way too serious. If you want recognition for your long list of aviation thrills, you will be waiting a long time. Go read "Fate is the Hunter" and get a prospective on the profession.

I've worked harder than most people I know, and I've been paid less than a slave. (I won't go in details, but I had no other choice, it was this 14hr day of hard labor for less than a sandwich or not work.) I made the choice to do it, and I didn't cry about it.

Now that I'm in a position in which I can work for whomever I want (whether it's at McDonald, or sitting in front of my computer in a muli-million house right on the water being paid while I read online forums), I take the jobs that fit me best.

You have the same choice, no held a gun to your face saying that you had to accept a "crappy job" for a bad pay.

Whether a job is easy or hard does not determine how much you should make. Do you think because someone just opened a new business and work really really really hard at it that they will make a lot of money? They'll *only* make money if: there is money to be made in that field, they're good, and have a little luck.

Companies can pay you whatever we want because we are the one handing out the check. If no one want to work for that amount, I'll have to look at other solutions. Blame it on yourself and you collegues that you're not making what you would consider a fair wage.

Next time you try to make personal attacks, make sure that they apply, otherwise you just look like a kid that can't argue.

"Next time you try to make personal attacks, make sure that they apply, otherwise you just look like a kid that can't argue."

Atleast I won't look like a foreigner with a silver spoon is his mouth. Seriously, your grammer is awful. I don't know if you were just mad and were typing fast or you really are a typical foreign pilot who will work for free, but slow down. The "collegues" that I blame are people like yourself who work for free and don't say anything about it, to themselves or the person ripping them off.

Hey, good news, Chataqua just lowered there minimums to 750. Another 700 hours and you will be on your way to flying a big Jet.

Duderino said:
So go crawl back into your bedroom...and back off.

Back off of what? Reality?

Go tell a cop, fireman or soldier how "dangerous" your job is. Complain to a group of them about "underpaid" you are.

The simple fact is that the market is currently flooded with skilled pilots, thus the going rate is on the low end of the scale.

Paul's remarks are rooted in reality. What he said was the truth.

....shooting the messenger won't solve anything.

Last edited:
Some dude who is way too full of himself said:
I am not your enemy, I am your asset, an asset who has experienced and accomplished things few others dare to try. Realize this and there few obstacles we can't overcome.

Yeah, we're real heroes. [/sarcasm]

-Goose

Latest resources

Back