• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't Become An Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If is was impossible to live on $80000/year, the poverty level would be $80000. In the US, you are not considered to be impoverished unless you make below ~$14000/year (I think). If you are seriously having problems on your current salary, I suggest you visit http://www.daveramsey.com/ . Being able to afford a cabin class twin on your own private strip doesn't happen overnight. Not trying to flame or anything, but you have to work your way up the food chain.

A Squared,
I just looked at the real estate section in the NY Times yesterday. A 680 sf apartment in Manhattan is 1.3 million, a 2200 sf house in Westchester is 1.1 million. At $80,000 per year you could not afford either of these since your monthly payment would be more than your salary. Once again its not how much you make it is where you live. You would struggle to maintain a middle class lifestyle on $80,000 with a family in NYC, Hawaii, Miami, the Bay Area, San Diego, Seattle, or LA.

Last edited:
This is from CNN Money: In other words for A Squared and TWA, making $80,000 in New York is about like making $40,000 in Saint Louis:

Salary in St. Louis MO:
$80,000
Comparable salary in New York (Queens) NY:
$127,231.22

If you move from St. Loius MO to New York (Queens) NY...

Groceries will cost:35.878%moreHousing will cost:138.264%moreUtilities will cost:47.254%moreTransportation will cost:18.453%moreHealthcare will cost:15.872%more

Pilotyip,
Great to hear but be glad you don't live in the Bay Area, don't think you would have much in the way of retirement if you were just starting out:

Salary in Detroit MI:
$80,000
Comparable salary in San Francisco CA:
$133,068.92

If you move from Detroit MI to San Francisco CA...
Groceries will cost:41.472%moreHousing will cost:152.126%moreUtilities will cost:17.863%lessTransportation will cost:18.83%moreHealthcare will cost:26.393%more

I just looked at the real estate section in the NY Times yesterday. A 680 sf apartment in Manhattan is 1.3 million, a 2200 sf house in Westchester is 1.1 million.

Yeah, this is a prime example of the problem here. Somehow you are taking it as an article of absolute unquestionable fact that you *must* have a 2200 sf house in Westchester to survive. It ain't true. it is entirely possible to get along on significantly less. I just took a look at the westchester Craigslist ads and there are plenty of houses there for 400K or less. You can get 1700 sf in Queens for $220K, so quit trying to peddle this absolute horse$hit that someone cannot exist without a million dollar home.

Back to the point. You may *want* more luxury than can be purchased for $80,000/year, but you don't *need* more luxury. There are plenty (as in most of the people in this counrty) living on significantly less. And yes, even in new york city there are people living on less than $80,000/year, and they are not poor.

Last edited:
This is from CNN Money: In other words for A Squared and TWA, making $80,000 in New York is about like making $40,000 in Saint Louis:

And yet, people are living in saint louis on $40,000/year, and they aren't starving to death or living under a bridge.

Pleasanton, CA

Pilotyip,
Great to hear but be glad you don't live in the Bay Area, don't think you would have much in the way of retirement if you were just starting out:

Salary in Detroit MI:
$80,000
Comparable salary in San Francisco CA:
$133,068.92

If you move from Detroit MI to San Francisco CA...
Groceries will cost:41.472%moreHousing will cost:152.126%moreUtilities will cost:17.863%lessTransportation will cost:18.83%moreHealthcare will cost:26.393%more
I guess I should have kept that 1700 sq ft house I bought in Pleasanton back in 1975 for 42K, but I thought I had really made out when I sold it two years later for 62K

Latest resources

Back