Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Done Deal: DOJ Approves Delta, Northwest Merger!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like still one minor hurdle to clear before it's considered closed. Passenger lawsuit in SFO:

Justice Department approves Delta-Northwest combo

By The Associated Press | 29 Oct 2008 | 03:53 PM ET function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633609067830000000');
icon_textT.gif
Text Size

setDefault('cnbc_textbody');MINNEAPOLIS - Delta and Northwest airlines won antitrust approval on Wednesday, with the Justice Department saying the creation of what will be the world's largest airline will help consumers without hurting competition.
The approval means the only thing standing between the two airlines and the deal closing is a trial in San Francisco next week in a lawsuit brought by 28 travelers. Northwest CEO Doug Steenland has said he does not believe the lawsuit will stop the deal, which the carriers have said they hope to close by the end of this year.
Federal regulators wrote in a statement that "the proposed merger between Delta and Northwest is likely to produce substantial and credible efficiencies that will benefit U.S. consumers and is not likely to substantially lessen competition."
It noted that they already compete with other carriers on most of the routes where they currently compete with each other. The Justice Department also said consumers should benefit from savings on expenses for airport operations, technology, and suppliers. The companies have said they can cut $2 billion a year in expenses once they combine.
When Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp. announced their deal in April, it was widely thought that they were looking to get approval before a new President took office.
Kevin Mitchell, chairman of the Business Travel Coalition, said approval of the merger will mean higher fares and fewer connections between mid-size cities and business centers. He said he was concerned about an enlarged Delta and other possible airline combinations and joint ventures.
"A first priority of the new administration should be to reconsider the rationale behind antitrust-immunized alliances and the market power they can exercise to the detriment of consumers," he said.
Mitchell testified before Congress in April in opposition to airline mergers.

that is what I am seeing. This will be done in the next 48-72hrs.
My bet is the paperwork was started this AM about 900....

First of the year could be a wild ride...
SWA grabs AAI
CAL grabs UAUA
And I guess that leaves AMR with ALK
someone is about to get screwed

I think that AMR is waiting for the economy to really go in to the tank. That way they can make their argument for foreign ownership and win. Government will be broke and have no choice but to let AMR be bought by BA.

I think that AMR is waiting for the economy to really go in to the tank. That way they can make their argument for foreign ownership and win. Government will be broke and have no choice but to let AMR be bought by BA.

That can't be.....Rez says that Obama will stop cabotage....Have faith in the Obama Messiah....he will save us all....

First of the year could be a wild ride...
SWA grabs AAI
CAL grabs UAUA
And I guess that leaves AMR with ALK
someone is about to get screwed
Lower oil prices take a lot of the pressure off. At the same time, no one is too keen on increasing capacity in this market.

ALK is a de-facto Delta Connection carrier feeding KSEA's expansion. If they tied the knot with AA (which doesn't make a lot of sense) then Delta would be the one getting screwed.

UAUA and AAI both have good pilot groups and I wish them the best.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back