Dogs for a single guy at UPT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vandal

We have a pilot candidate leaving for OTS next week who was wondering if he could take his dog to UPT. He isn't married to he's probably be in the BOQs, can they have dogs there? I can't remember...

At Laughlin single dudes could not have dogs on base, even if you lived in the duplex's. Off base is his only option.

At Columbus the only allowable pets in the dorms were fish. So if his dog can fit in a tank and breath under water he'll be golden.

Last edited:
I'll just STFU since I'm obviously biased!!

don't know what its like now, but when I went to UPT we got to move off base within a month of showing up. Maybe he could leave the dog with family until he can get off base.

We have a pilot candidate leaving for OTS next week who was wondering if he could take his dog to UPT. He isn't married to he's probably be in the BOQs, can they have dogs there? I can't remember...

Oh man, this post gives me a flashback. I was an asst flt cc at Laughlin; since I was the FNG, I had to inspect single officer housing - the base was close to an IG inspection. I go into one student's Q and out from under the bed a friendly dog pops up. I had to tell the student to find other accomodations for her roommate. The class was over 1/2 way through 38s; I never asked how long the dog had been living there.

I'll just STFU since I'm obviously biased!!

I know this:

Daschunds with erections can't climb stairs.

...but is it true for basset hounds? haha :)

In all seriousness...if you're a single guy in a dorm or apartment, UPT will pretty much be a year of hell for your dog. Unless he's a little rat-dog, he'll need to stretch his legs and be outside MUCH more than your dorm/apartment will allow. You'll be gone 12hrs/day (or more) most of the time and that kinda life is tough on a dog.

Just my $0.02.

There were weeks at UPT I could have had time to raise horses, and weeks that a goldfish would have died.

Suggest leaving the dog with family until you get it figured out...

Fury220:
Daschunds with erections can't climb stairs.

...but is it true for basset hounds? haha :)

They get a running start and "pole vault" up to four stairs!! Any more than that and they have to wait "for the feeling to subside.":D

AlbieF15:
Suggest leaving the dog with family until you get it figured out...

As always, Albie is correct. Think about what's best for the dog.

Latest resources

Back