• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dogs for a single guy at UPT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have a pilot candidate leaving for OTS next week who was wondering if he could take his dog to UPT. He isn't married to he's probably be in the BOQs, can they have dogs there? I can't remember...

No single officer, least of all a pilot, should have a dog or any other pet.

I agree with the others, leave Fido at home at least until you figure out a few things.

If they allow you to have dogs in the duplexes, I still would not want to leave a large dog outside all day especially at DLF, due to heat in summer, fire ants, scorpions, snakes, and skunks. BTW the best way to get rid of skunk is to use a mixture of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and lemon dishwashing detergent, my catahoula got sprayed twice in a year by PePe LePews due to being too curious for his own good.

If you can have a dog in the duplexes, wait until you get there to find out the living situation. Someone in your class will be married and will have placated their UPT support spouse with a dog to avoid having a kid during UPT to keep boredom and lonliness from setting in. That dog will lack for attention and will need a playmate to keep from chewing things and tearing up the yard, you will then offer to bring your dog to UPT after a weekend trip home if they will allow your dog to have supervised playdates during the day, this will tire both animals out, your dog will be safer, you will have a place to keep your dog when you go cross country, you will have to house sit/pet sit and care for both animals when they go away for a few precious moments away from small town crap to visit the big city 2 to 4 hours away from your training base, win for all, your dog is safer and not lonely during the day, they don't have to spend as much time keeping their dog from being hyper and destructive, plus not worry about a pet sitter when they go away.

Just my .02

I successfully kept my Golden in the Q at Corpus for almost 2 weeks by walking him only under the cover of darkness - he really enjoyed chasing the jackrabbits. Then one day I return from a flight to find a note from the CMAA "Loose the dog by lunchtime tomorrow!" So I stashed him with a married buddy till the wife showed up & we got housing. Of course that was 20 years ago and not recommended!

MT

Military flight training is probably one of the top 3 or 4 things that you will do in life. Shoot the friggin` dog and get on with your training.

Sell the dog and use the cash to buy the first round for all of his flightmates.

Seriously though, he needs to find other arrangements for the dog...life would suck for the poor thing.

You can only bring the dog into the squadron building if it's one of those cute little things with a ribbon and it's head sticking out of those doggie purses. Of course, you'd better look like Paris Hilton too, or you and your doggie are likely to get thrashed.

Latest resources

Back