Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dogs

Originally posted by WrightAvia

In case you're wondering: I hate dogs!!!! My brother almost got killed by one (bitten in the neck and behind the ear), my mom has been bitten, like my dad. I had to kick one in the face (dog did a very nice backflip) to keep it away, another grazed my arm.
I'm waiting for some legislation that prohibits dogs within city limits, same as the law that prohibits life stock or exotic animals.
Exceptions for police dogs and seeing-eye dogs

Sounds like dogs do not like you very much either! The real problem is not the dog, but the owners who do not take responsible action in regards to training thier pets. I'm waiting for some legislation that 1) prohibits stupid people from introducing needless laws into society in the name of "a safer society"and 2)holds attorneys that waiste tax payer time and money with frivolous lawsuits accountable for thier actions! In case your wondering: I HATE LAWYERS!

I think you got your posts mixed up...

rltoma...till you figure it out, have a beer and some lunch with my dog BARFY...

IG_LoadImage.asp

Last edited:
Yep, I got the posts mixed up alright, Oh well
The original post I was replying to was originally posted by metrodriver

Great topic!

I have two pitbulls, wondergul dogs (I can hear it now). I socialized them in off leash dogparks until recently when one decided to finish a fight another dog started. Due to some bad owners and sensational media coverage I realized that I may face some hefty liability if my dog bit someone accidentally while breaking up a dogfight. I know the pitbull would always be the villan in the public eye so now settle for long walks with them (just got back from one).

BTW, they are great companions for my wife while I am on the road all the time!

rltoma,

Ditto about the lawyer thing, well said! Too bad the judicial system is rum by lawyers, the fox running the henhouse as they say.

"pitbulls"

Exactly Jolly!

Any dog can be made mean, the American Staffordshire Bull Terrier has gotten a really bad rap as a result. They are just built perfectly to be fighting dogs, so everyone assumes all of them are!

I have seen numerous "pit bulls" you would trust with your baby on the floor. The breed people are trying to get away from the name and call them Am Staffs now, which I think may help a bit.

Just a shame the dog fighters and irresponsible owners give all of us a bad name (I have dogs, but not that breed). Whatching "animal cops" and "animal precinct", the problem seems epidemic in NYC and Detroit.

Don't tell your homeowners insurance you have a "pit bull"--they will drop you like a hot potato or exclude any dog bite from liability coverage!

good dog

To answer your original questions-

It is one of the most commonly used breeds for police work.
Those dogs are very expensive as they are incredibly smart, loyal, tough, etc. They also have incredible noses. You can easily train it to indicate to you when the baby needs changing. Which would be a neat and usefull trick.
Also, yes they are called Belgian Shepards. They look very similar to those initially unfamiliar with the breed. Once you get used to seeing them the similarities fade. If you got a pure breed (which is not uncommon at the human society or pound), you just got a dog that could be worth as much as $5,000.

I HIGHLY recommend an author of the last name Walters or Waltors. He has several books: Family Dog; Home Dog; Gun Dog and others I believe. If you can get out of the obedience school do so now! The books are easy to read and (in my opinion) are the bible. You do as the book says you will have a trained dog that truely amaze people.

On the note of the other posters, I agree. Pit bulls and Rotweillers are great dogs. It is irresponsible owners that should get the bad publicity.

PM me for more, I read just one of his books and the results were unbelievable.

I think thats what she is, I just joined the yahoo group for Malinois so hopefully someone there will tell me. Everything I've read about them fits this dog as does the appearence. I can see how they are used for police work because she is highly trainable and VERY fast physically and mentally.

We've got sit, lay down and come in two days. I've never had a dog (or tried to train one) but that seems fast to me. Now we just need heel so I can walk her without loosing an arm. I also need to figure out how to get her to not chase the cats.

LOOKS JUST LIKE MAXIMUS

I had a very similar experience to you. About two years ago I rescued a stray German Shepherd looking mix and sent him to the SPCA. No one claimed him so I went back to get him. I had no idea what he was until my next door neighbor cop informed me that he was a Malinois.

Everyone in my neighborhood loves him and I believe that my parents are planning to dognap him while I'm on a trip. He lives with a cat (big, fat, cat) and they're buddies, but I know he likes to chase small animals if they run. He is trainable on just about everything but, GOOD LUCK ON HEEL.

Who the hell throws out such a cool animal. Oh well, their loss, my gain.

Last edited:
I used to have a pitt bull/daschsund mix. I never could figure out how it happened (didn't know for sure; I got it an an animal shelter). The physics are mindbending. It's a little like a semitruck overtaking a little sports car. The danger is minimal as the two will never connect (or a DC-3 taking off over a Cessna 150, to keep it aviation oriented). Talk about a lucky strike.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back