• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dog

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Too many yuppies buying the perfect pure bred meanwhile thousands of unwanted dogs are put down!

As the owner of a 12 week old pure bred lab, there are certain advantages with buying a breed with a good temperment as a puppy. Dog training books say the critical time in a dog's life is from 7 weeks old to 6 months. If you miss that window, it will be more difficult to train the dog. Also, I wouldn't want to introduce a stray adult dog into a family with small children. Not many pure bred puppies end up at the shelter.

What really is upsetting to me is the whole dog breeding industry.
A few years back in a big city in Minnesota a part of our cago was 3 pallets stacked high with very young puppies. The bad part was the temperature: -20C. These animals had been sitting there for quite some time (read a few hours) and started to look like deep freeze dogs. However nobody cares about it because the worse the dogs look by the time they arrive at your neighbourhood shopping mall's animal store the better it is. Little kids and their moms will walk by, see the sick looking dog and go mommy, we want that dog, it's so sad! A little bit of crying and screeming and the 'poor' puppy has made a few bucks for the store. I know the dog breeding is a big industry for the amish in ohio and pennsylvania, and nobody cares.
The drawback to all this stuff is that a lot of places are starting to drown in the dogs and their waste. Compounding the problem is that many people see a dog as a status symbol or a socializing tool (if you have a dog, somebody is bound to talk to you) resulting in not 1, not 2 but 3 or more dogs per house and the bigger the dogs the better and nobody who handles them correctly (keep them on a leash). Just yesterday I saw a young girl being chased by some little dogs fall over some rocks, break her glasses and tear up her hands and legs. Of course then comes the owner around the corner saying 'they don't bite, they never did'.
In case you're wondering: I hate dogs!!!! My brother almost got killed by one (bitten in the neck and behind the ear), my mom has been bitten, like my dad. I had to kick one in the face (dog did a very nice backflip) to keep it away, another grazed my arm.
I'm waiting for some legislation that prohibits dogs within city limits, same as the law that prohibits life stock or exotic animals.
Exceptions for police dogs and seeing-eye dogs.

Mutts make the best pets! I have a 1/2 Rottweiler 1/2 akita mix that I got from the pound 2 yrs ago as a puppy. I love my dog! all 90 pounds of her!!

metrodriver said:
I'm waiting for some legislation that prohibits dogs within city limits, same as the law that prohibits life stock or exotic animals.
Exceptions for police dogs and seeing-eye dogs.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with dogs, but buddy, you're gonna have to pry my dog's leash from my cold, dead hands! (My apologies to the NRA)

Chunk

Sounds like another case for...

Mothers Against Sharp Objects and Pointy Things.

I view leashless dogs as one of the reasons to pass Concealed Carry Weapons laws, not as a reason to ban dogs.

I vote no to BANNERS and vote yes to keep the dogs. I also emphatically vote that no gentleman should have to retreat from domestic or wild animals or a human attacker. Not even one single step. In a polite society, dog owners maintain control over their dogs, keep them on leashes when out of doors and pick up after them when they crap. In a polite society, gentlemen are masters of their fate and fear no dog or ne'er do well.

Re: Sounds like another case for...

WrightAvia said:
Mothers Against Sharp Objects and Pointy Things.

I view leashless dogs as one of the reasons to pass Concealed Carry Weapons laws, not as a reason to ban dogs.

I vote no to BANNERS and vote yes to keep the dogs. I also emphatically vote that no gentleman should have to retreat from domestic or wild animals or a human attacker. Not even one single step. In a polite society, dog owners maintain control over their dogs, keep them on leashes when out of doors and pick up after them when they crap. In a polite society, gentlemen are masters of their fate and fear no dog or ne'er do well.

HERE!! HERE!!

We have the Concealed Weapons law where I live , best thing that ever happenen,( well not the best thing, but apretty good thing). Three years running now and no issues with it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back