• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Don

Dogs (Pets!)

http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~dcs02d/images/dog.jpg

Just got a dog from the pound. They said it is a Belgian Malinois (Pronounced Mal-en-Wah)

Looks like a german shepherd to me.

She's about 8 months old, 30 lbs (a little skinny probably from being a stray)

Seems to know no fear and is VERY quick to learn how to do good and bad things.

What is it? I don;t know anything about dogs. Is it a mix?

Last edited:
Not sure, but I would like to thank you for giving a home to a dog in need. Too many yuppies buying the perfect pure bred meanwhile thousands of unwanted dogs are put down!

Belgian Malinois have excellent smell. The Secret Service uses them for bomb-sniffing dogs.

Malinoits

They are used as police dogs in Europe because of their sense of smell. Also trained as Police Attack Dogs.

On the downside, two of them attacked a woman in SanFrancisco last year and killed her.

That said, ANY dog can be made mean (the whole "pit bull" thing is a real crock--Am Staffs can be great dogs!). But a big dog like this really needs obedience training. From their uses in Europe, obedience training should be relatively easy.

Look up dog training in the yellow pages or perhaps try the American Kennel Club website - www.akc.org - under "dog Training". A basic obedience course should be relatively inexpensive and really is a must with a dog of this size. It will make owning him much more enjoyable as well!

If you live in the Salt Lake Area, I can give you a recommendation for a training school as well.

Great that you have rescued a dog from the shelter! There are never enough homes to go around.

Pilotadjuster - You wouldn't be referring to the 2 dogs who killed Diane Whipple in San Francisco in 2001, would you? If so, those two dogs were Presa Canarios, NOT Belgian Malinois. That particular attack gained national attention as the owners of the dogs were sentenced to 4 yrs in prison.

presa canarios

My mistake--that was the incident I was thinking of and thought it was a pair of malinoit.

I had heard that German Shephards had been overbred in general as well (that can bring out genetic problems like hip displaysia).

Of course, I will stick with my English Cocker Spaniels...

dms,

Although it may not be aviation related, it is obviously a popular thread. What's the harm? Wasting your bandwidth?

Now its aviation related

Well I got the dog because I'm hoping to make a career change soon and that means I'll be gone at night on occasion. There is no getting around that. My wife does not like to be alone, so I got an alarm and considered a handgun, but then decided that a dog would be better. It wakes up and attacks on its own. Guns don't do that. It’s also REALLY hard to convince the dog to attack the owner. Maybe we should put dogs on airplanes. They could also help keep people seated and possibly pull the beverage cart around.

My wife and dog are going to obedience school together.

Will she get a lot bigger? If she is 8 months old isn't that nearly full grown?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back