Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azpilot

From Reuters.

"With O'Hare being the busiest airport in the world, anything that we can do safely to increase the number of flights the airport can handle is a benefit to the traveling public," Shumann said. The new procedure will decrease the distance between aircraft at O'Hare to allow for more departures on an east-west runway, called 27 Left, and more arrivals on the intersecting runway, 14 Right.

The current rule requires about 10,000 feet between aircraft. That means that a plane taking off has to be through the intersection before a landing plane is over the end of the runway, Shumann said. Under the new rule, a plane taking off from runway 27 Left can be passing through the intersection while a plane that has landed and is slowing down on 14 Right is within 5,000 feet of the intersection."

This doesn't sound like the best idea to me but....

I don't think this would be allowed by the FAA unless they were conducting LAHSO. All it would take is an aborted takeoff and a hot/long landing to create a collision hazard(ok, I should say MORE of a collision hazard). I doubt it will happen...but if Daley has anything to say about it, I bet they'll make it so that multiple aircraft can be on the same runway at the same time....."in the interest of public safety"..

Well, In my opinion its highly unlikley but from a saftey standpoint, as long as the aircraft is considered a "Taxiing aircraft" its perfectly legal the way the 7110.65 is written. There maybe a local order at KORD that allows controllers to deviate from the standard regulations we follow. As for go arounds on 14R, well, that problem would be eliminated due to the fact that the aircraft has slowed to a safe "taxing speed" even though its still moving controllers anticipate that this aircraft will not roll through the 27L/14R intersection.

From what it sounds like, a plane lands on 14R and is slowing down. The 14R/27L intersection is a ways down the runway so in most cases even the heaviest 747 shouldn't roll through it. Controllers could launch all day of 27L when the are resonably assured that the 14R approaching aircraft will not roll through the intersection. Its all good as long as the aircraft is now considered "TAXING."

Now if a plane began its takeoff roll and a plane crossed the 14R threshold, that is clearly not legal, but after touch down and reducing speed, lets line them up and launch them. Those ORD controllers make some pretty cool stuff happen.

I have aircraft "taxing" at 100kts. Cause I know its not gonna be a factor.

Latest resources

Back