Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyguy

Does the FBI hire pilots?

Does anyone know if the FBI hires pilots or do they contract outside companys to do their flying? Also if they do hire where would I find some info on it, I tried their website, but I couldn't find anything. I'm more curious then anything, but the question popped in the mind so i thought i'd ask.

Thanks

FBI Pilots

FBI aircraft do a lot of flying out of Manassas, VA, under the callsign "Ross." I've heard that if you want to fly for them, you must enter the service as a regular "agent," and then be assigned to flying once you've completed the regular/basic training. They fly nice-looking equipment, a Gulfstream, MU-2's, I think an Aerostar, and a lot of Cessna's.

I applied to the FBI a couple of years ago as a special agent and at the time they wouldn't even discuss becoming a pilot until you had finished special agent training. The application process and training for special agents is a long and challenging process so I bailed out for a chance to fly the C130. I think if you're interested in law enforcement aviation Customs is the way to go.

To fly for the FBI.

I new a couple of FBI pilots. I used to work out of the same airport as them. We were in the same building. Did lunch with them a few times, etc. (Sorry in todays world no need to know if you don't know already the location!)

To sum it all up, you need to become an agent first, then a pilot. You may not get in the first time, that is just because of the way they are. So you have to keep trying. All depends on how bad you want it.

The guys I new, even thought they flew small prop planes then loved it.

Any chance someone here might be able to tell us what pilots who fly for the FBI really do?

1. Mission?
2. Location?
3. Agent first-pilot second?
4. Ability to up-grade from single-engine cessna to gulfstream?
5. Pay structure, any different than a regular agent?
6. How many aircraft and what types?

Questions, questions...

flying for the FBI

My brother is a G-man, and we talked about this a little bit when he went to the Academy. I'll forward the jist of this thread on to him to get specifics, but i can give you some basics in the meantime....

Mission: Generally, you'd be flying a C-182 with a FLIR and police radios. that is, flying racetracks while keeping a house/office under surveillance.

location would depend on what field office needed a pilot. in your first 5 years, you get to pick NE/SE/NW/SW united states. they pick the city. after 5 years, you can select three cities you want to be assigned to and they'll do their best to give you one of the three. similar to bidding in an airline though - you won't get assigned to florida. all the senior guys are on that list.

agent first - always. every agent has another job. i.e. some are acountants, linguists, lawyers, engineers, etc. in this case your other job is being a pilot.

ability to upgrade - i once met former FBI Director Louis Freeh at IAD. He was flying a Citation II. John Ashcroft regularly flies in a King Air 200. Forget the Gulfstream, it was probably on loan from the Andrews squadron that flies the President.

pay the same as any agent.

i'll try to get more info on fleet and types, but mainly Cessna 182s. i think the larger corporate type aircraft might be handled through Department of Justice.

in the end, i just want to fly, although it would be cool to be a G-man on the side. in essence though, they want you to be an agent first, pilot second. but i encourage anyone interested to call their local office and talk to a real FBI pilot. they're very friendly people and the job kicks ass. i just decided i wanted to do aviation 100%....

hope this helps...

captainv

>>Any chance someone here might be able to tell us what pilots who fly for the FBI really do?

1. Mission?
2. Location?
3. Agent first-pilot second?
4. Ability to up-grade from single-engine cessna to gulfstream?
5. Pay structure, any different than a regular agent?
6. How many aircraft and what types?

Questions, questions...

They are waaaaaaay behind on interviews, that is, if you pass the initial entrance exam.

Thanks for the info,

I am waiting to hear from a recruiter...see what s/he has to say and if there's a way for me to speak with one of their current pilot's.
If there's a negative...it would have to be the thought of flying a C-182 for 10-15 years. Also wonder how many pilots leave after 8-10 years for an airline? Althought the 182 is a rather simple airframe, I would think that having been an agent with a Top Secret Clearance and the like, one could have a few good regionals interested. Although the pay cut would be very tough to bare.

Thanks again for the input.

Most (but not all) airborne law enforcement jobs require you to be a law enforcement officer first, and a pilot second. FBI is like that, most (not all) other Fed agency and state and local agencies are like that too. If you are not interested in being a cop first, do everyone (including yourself, because you won't like it) a favor and steer clear of this field.

well, if an airline is your goal, this is a roundabout way to get there. if anything, you could put in 20 years at the bureau, get your pension, then go fly for fun - the pay cut would be much easier to manage that way.

as for the Top Secret clearance, ummm, that would be no. ok, maybe if you had a specialty in counterterrorism or something.

keep in mind, an FBI agent is basically a police detective. think Law & Order - you interview people, you testify, you write lots of reports. don't think you'll be using your gun in the line of duty unless you are assigned to narcotics, or get selected for the SWAT team. most agents go their whole careers without ever using their firearm in the line of duty.

if your end goal is to be at the airlines in 10 years, i would say the FBI is not the right choice for you. and likely, you won't make it through training (or even selection) unless it is the number one thing in your life. if aviation is the real motivator in your life, make it the top priority.

captainv

If there's a negative...it would have to be the thought of flying a C-182 for 10-15 years. Also wonder how many pilots leave after 8-10 years for an airline? Althought the 182 is a rather simple airframe, I would think that having been an agent with a Top Secret Clearance and the like, one could have a few good regionals interested. Although the pay cut would be very tough to bare.

Latest resources

Back