Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LAPD Airship said:
Ummmm, Duke is not Ivy League ;)

Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Darmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, and Yale....for those of you that don't know

Ivy league university's open doors in the social circles of business, but that is about it. They also let you get into more prestigious graduate schools which is where the school name really matters.

PS,

I do believe that the original poster wrote, "To the professional pilots out there who got their undergraduate degrees (aviation or not aviation-related) from Ivy Leage schools or big-name schools like Stanford, Duke, UC-Berkeley, you name it, did that (if ever) influence in advancing your career?"

I do believe that your second statement that I quote is generally correct. It isn't necessarily the education but the networking that is valuable.

Congratulations on being a 1L at NYU. Its a great law school. Are you on PLOA? One of my best friends is a 3L at NYU and if you'd like to talk to him (although I'm sure you have a network by now), I'm sure he'd be more than happy to discuss his job hunting experiences with you, etc.

-Neal

Oh Neal,

I love fukkin with ya....you know its all in fun I hope.

But you are right...he did have an OR in there didn't he.

Would love to meet your friend. Where are you anyway this cold night?

Last edited:
LAPD Airship said:
Oh Neal,

I love fukkin with ya....you know its all in fun I hope.

But you are right...he did have an OR in there didn't he.

Would love to meet your friend. Where are you anyway this cold night?

Cold? Its 70 here in IAH. Won't be back in NYC for a few weeks. We can grab beers with my friend if you'd like. He lives down off Union Square near campus. And yes, he had an "OR".......

Are you there on an LOA going full time or part time?

-Neal

No, still working.

Part time.

Im in Battery Park City, so not far obviously.

And what job hunting does he have to do anyway....firms should be throwing themselves at him

Last edited:
Just get the @#$^&! degree

swc12nap1 said:
To those instead who came from regular universities but advanced fast or who think they are very successful, how did you attain where you are right now?
My college education was at a small college. I don't think my B.S.B.A. in Accounting helped me one iota with the regionals, because I was never hired. I do believe it helped me get my foot in the door for my first full-time flying job, at ERAU. I don't believe I would have been hired if I had anything less than four-year degree.

I second the above about a Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, etc. education maybe being a detriment. You might be branded as some kind of arrogant Ivy League smartass with whom other people would not want to fly. Sure, it's stupid and narrow-minded, but those who hire pilots at airlines are very often very stupid and exceedingly narrow-minded. On the other hand, I do not believe that one would suffer such discrimination if one had a degree from M.I.T.

Once more, the bottom line is to get a four-year degree, in something, from an accredited college. As a pilot, your degree from Southern Armpit A&M means just as much as a degree from a big and/or "prestigious" college. Choice of major does not really matter. I, personally, like an Aeronautical Science degree, but that's just me, and a subject that has been discussed plenty elsewhere on the board.

Good luck with wherever you go to college and whatever you choose to study.

Last edited:
To the ff: Falcon, Tywells, bart,BluDevAv8r, SDF2BVF2mco, LAPD, bobbysand, thanks a lot for your serious reply. I am sure that there are many readers out there who have gained from your posts. Again, thanks a lot.

LAPD Airship said:
No, still working.

Part time.

Im in Battery Park City, so not far obviously.

And what job hunting does he have to do anyway....firms should be throwing themselves at him

Well I shouldn't have said "hunting"...more like "recruiting" experience. He is working at Paul Weiss next year. He'll do quite a bit better then us lowly REgionAL airline pilots next year.

I know Battery Park - great area. Too far southwest for me though. Once we sign this thing, I'm buying in the Union Square area as well. Good luck with the part-time thing. It won't be easy. Let me know how it goes as I am going to be applying to B-Schools here soon and am tempted to try school full-time and flying part-time. I'll get to your email tomorrow. Been a busy day and my brain is shot on that stuff. You can always call me at the office as well.

-Neal

These threads irritate the piss out of me. It is plain and simple: if you want to be a professional [major] airline pilot, you need a Bachelor's degree in whatever. Get the degree from a school that will teach you something of INTEREST! If you are really serious about the profession, pursue an educational hobby. Oh, is it possible to go to school to enrich ones' self?!

Doesn't anybody think of opportunities arising while being a pilot? If you're looking for "fallback" education, go to bartending school. If you want to be able to take advantage of pilots who have an aviation degree alone, major in finance at the University of Who the Hell Cares. It isn't hard to make 2 million dollars in aviation...just FIND the dude that started with four.

Last edited:
LAPD Airship said:
Ummmm, Duke is not Ivy League ;)

Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Darmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, and Yale....for those of you that don't know

I have never seen a list of "Ivy League" as you have written. How about Northwestern, the University of Chicago, and Vanderbilt?

Oh, and my alma mater- Southern Illinois University- (majored in Aviation, minored in Beer, or was it the other way round)?

Ty Webb said:
I have never seen a list of "Ivy League" as you have written. How about Northwestern, the University of Chicago, and Vanderbilt?

Oh, and my alma mater- Southern Illinois University- (majored in Aviation, minored in Beer, or was it the other way round)?

While UC, Vandy, and Northwestern are excellent academic institutions, LAPD is correct about what an "Ivy League" school is. They are:

Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
University of Pennsylvania
Princeton University
Yale University

-Neal

Latest resources

Back