• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does it ever feel like a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In broadcasting, I sat in a small room with a view of a parkinglot, hated the people I worked for, and went home talking to myself. There were happy times, but they seem few and far between in retrospect.

Now I sit in a jet cockpit, with a view like no other (save from space), like the people I work for, and go home awed that I could be doing something I love that makes me feel like a kid again.

Like the above replies indicate, it's a matter of motives. I'm not in this for the top money, as time and age will prevent that. I'm doing this because I enjoy it, and I think I'll enjoy it until they throw dirt on me.

After nearly three years of flying for airlines, and commuting the entire time, I would say yes, it feels like a job. It's a really cool job, but nonetheless, it is a job, with resonsibility, obligations, etc.
It feels like a job when we have no staged overnights, get in at 10 pm and out at 7am. I enjoyed it more when we had a little time to ourselves on overnights to explore, relax, etc.

The one nice thing about this job is that once I finish a trip and go home, I can leave it all behind me.

I too was once an office drone, but the nice thing about the office is you go home everynight, have weekends and holidays off, and a schedule like your loved ones and friends. I also had a much easier time getting vacation.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my job as an airline pilot for my old desk job, it certainly is a lot more fun, and of course, everyone thinks that being a pilot is cool.

Love and Hate relationship

I love flying more than anything, but as of now, it feels like a job, and unfortunately, it is still quite early in my career. The day I get my first flying job, read OTHER THAN FLIGHT INSTRUCTING, I will be tickled to death. I have just around 850 dual given, pretty much all in a C-172, and the few times I've gotten to do a photo flight, or something like that recently, were I AM ACTUALLY FLYING, it reminds me of why I got into this profession. I love flying, co-piloting a jet is fun, piloting a 172 is fun...putt putt putting around in a C-172, left turn this, climb that, well.....that is not fun, it was once, but isn't anymore. I think the saying goes, "it isn't a 135 minimum's requirement, it's more of flight instructing MAXIMUM", or the maximum amount of instructing your body can take without eating itself. But still, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I would always rather be at home that at work. It is fun, but is also a job.

So yes, it feels like a job all the time.

But then I look at my paycheck and realize, its not a job!?, most people get paid for their job. I get a stipend, not a paycheck. :D

Occasionaly, as mentioned before, waking early, sweating my arse off in a 110 degree cockpit, getting extended when I was supposed to meet with my family who came into town, hanging around in a dead downtown Waterloo, IA on Christmas AND Thanksgiving, etc., it "felt" like a job.

Then I was furloughed and got a "real" job.

I ache to have the aforementioned downsides back. For me, I now know with surety that it was not a job.

Been at it for 14 years. Best job in the world. For some it gets old but not for me. I'm a Captain at a Major and find that the time off and money allow you to do other things outside of flying. Now work, as much as I love it does get in the way of the other things I do. I don't get bored flying on long flights...just bring reading material. It's not the most stable industry and anyone at any airline could lose thier job.

I'm not in the airlines, but I hope to be some day soon. I think that anything you do can turn into a job. I used to work for an airline training academy which promised an interview. Currently, that company is hiring strongly to put people in RJs. I gave up my interview their because I started to hate my job. The pay was low (by that I mean, 7 days a week and netting less than $850), the company had zero respect for its employees... bleh. So I switched companies. Now, I earn more and work less than the friends I have in the airlines. Viewing flying as a job or a love depends a lot on the company you work for and your mindset. For me, I'd rather die than do anything else. I love getting in the Bonanza or the Seminole at 4am and watching the world come alive beneath me as the sun rises. What's better than flying? Nothing.

Happy Landings.

Cool quote: "Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward... for there you have been, and there you long to return." --Leonardo da Vinci

I love it and wouldn't want to work in the real world! Some mornings on the way to the airport for an early show I end up in rush hour traffic and just giggle. These folks have to go to work, I get to fly a plane! It's all in your mindset. I chose to make my work enjoyable, and it is!:cool:

However, there is the occasional crew or situation that brings you back to reality but that's far and few between.

although i've been on furlough for a while, it always felt like a job when i was loaded up for the lake or golf course and crew scheduling calls to tell me i'm the jumior man.

Latest resources

Back