Does it ever feel like a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DLconnection

To those of u who have been flying for the airlines for awhile....Does flying ever get to the point where it actually feels like a job. Where u don't feel like going into work. I know that some companies are better to work for than others, but I am talking about the job itself. Do u ever get bored up there? Especially with all of the new automation. Looking at it from the other side of the fence right now, I can't ever see flying a jet as being just a job. Some people pay big money just to fly as a hobby. But like all things.... things become old. Like I said, for those of u who have been in the business for awhile... what are your opinions on this topic?

I haven't been at this too long but so far for me it does not feel like a job. I have noticed an interesting trent though. People who have been flying all of their professional career, never having worked at anything else, tend to view this more as just another job than those who have spent a lot of time doing other stuff. I have also noticed that those who got into this because they wanted a high paying career and a prestiegious job tend to view as just a job as opposed to those who got into it because they have always wanted to fly.

Personally I have worked in software development, marketing and sales before I got into aviation professionally. So compared to those other jobs, aviation is far different and far better. I have also always wanted to fly since I was three and four years old and when my parents would take me out to Dulles airport to watch the planes.

So I guess it depends on your background. But ask me again in twenty years.

Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do. It is a job afterall so the answer is, yes, it does feel like a job sometimes. Preflighting in a pouring rainstorm, dealing with irate pax, 16 hour duty days, etc. Those things aren't considered fun in most people's book. On the flip side, I couldn't imagine working for a living (like I'm doing now while furloughed). That's why I became a pilot. Oh, and it's the most fun you can have with your pants on (assuming they don't happen to come off in cruise...hmmm).

I love this job. The only times it feels like a job is when I get some anal jerk captain. Everything else is great.

Feels like a job???

About the only time it feels like a job is
getting up at 4:30 AM after the 3 hours of
"sleep" during a nap (CDO) trip. Anytime else
it's great!

Some of the captains I fly with seem to view it as such but I suspect that is because they have not been given the chance to bid different aircraft for the last year or so. Personally I consider myself fortunate to have this (and I use this term VERY loosely) job. Doesnt seem much like work to me. I still look forward to going in each day.

Twotter76

I had a couple of "professional" type jobs before jumping into this industry a couple of years ago. If you watch American Beauty and Office Space, I couldve easily turned out like those guys.

This gig certainly has its moments but nothing like the corporate world. I havent been able to supress the smile after busting out of a layer of fog with the sun just popping out on a calm morning yet.

It feels like a job on those 5AM reports, 8th leg of the day, so on and so on.

But even after the 5am reports and once you get going on a long day, there is nothing I would trade for it.

It all makes sence to me when you come over the interstate early in the morning, say MIA, and there is grid lock on the highway, it always puts a smile on my face no matter how tired I am.

LR25

It's the coolest job in the world with the best scenery. The downs to it are the O dark thirty wake-ups, the long duty days and then management sc*&#ing with the operation and trying to make life miserable for everyone. Other than that, no complaints.

Latest resources

Back