Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does COEX care about the kind of multi time you have?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah said:
Just don't be an idiot and you will do fine. Just know the profiles, limitations and memory items and don't worry about it.
Agreed. I would say that studying and preparing for the interview is tougher than getting through the training. If you study, its not that hard. If you spend every night after class at the hotel bar, it may not be so easy.

Last edited:
Buy the time, and split it with one other instructor. There's no way it's "questionable" as to whether or not it's legal. The more "quality" you make it (shoot real approaches, lots of engine failures, always on IFR flight plans) the more it will help you in training.

Rent about 20 hrs in a Frasca or AST trainer and do the same there. Have friend abuse you in it.

I got hired and passed 1st time thru @ Mesaba w/ 120 multi hrs. The only things they want to learn in the interview are: is this pilot a liar, can they fly, can I stand to be near them for several days at a time.

Get the time, get the interview. Then get some sort of interview training.
Good Luck.

Doogie said:
I personally hate you MEI guys who get 5 guys together and go rent a plane and all log the time. Its fu%kin stupid and the guys at COEX are not going to put up with that.

Seriously dude you need some real multi time. You really think that you will have what it takes to get through FTD, SIM, and IOE on just a 100 hours multi? Not to mention that the 100 hours that you log you are not sole pilot of that multi, your splitting the time. Do yourself and COEX a favor and get more than the min required multi time. I know for a fact that they are not looking for CFI guys as much now. They are looking for prior 121 and 135 experience. I am not trying to be a total prick but COEX has several each class that fails out.

No BS take a good look at your multi time and ask yourself honestly Do I have enought time and experience with a Multi complex airplane to have a shot at making it though a class at any airline?

Just my .02 take it or leave it.
Your 2 cents is worth just about that - I got hired here with 1000tt and 50me into the ATR and passed training with no problems. A good attitude and strong work ethic are all it takes to get through. Most of the guys I fly with were all hired with about the same experience. Are you telling me that you're a better pilot because you have 50 more hours of duchess time than the next guy? I doubt it. Your ability to succeed at XJT depends on your ability to apply yourself....nothing more.

To all flight instructors who know what hard work is all about - come on down. If you bought all your time, had daddy buy you a C-310, or think you were born with a better pot to p*ss in than everyone else, GOOD LUCK.

I was hired at Airnet with 12 hours of multi to fly single pilot night IFR in the sh!tty weather. I did fine. I know for a fact that Airnet's training is much more difficult than an RJ checkride where an engine failure is virtually a non-issue. Don't listen to anyone who thinks that a few more hours of instructing in a twin is going to allow you to save the day in your RJ. There's two of you up there anyway. Doogie is ignorant.

50 multi and got the ATR at coex? A bunch of your friends too? 12 multi and got the baron at airnet? I swear i do everything the hardest way possible!!!!!! Amazing how important timing is. A year ago today I don't think eagle or coex were even hiring. Around january and feb. coex was hiring and you needed 500 multi just to continue the online application i think. Now they want 600 total time. I hope the majors get jumping like this in the next few years!

coex said:
I was hired at coex with 100 multi and had no problems getting through training. Does that mean anyone can pass training with 100 hours of multi, no.....but it can be done.
It ABSOLUTELY can be done. I know two people that got hired at CoEx and breezed through training and are now captains senior enough to not have been downgraded even after the flowbacks post-9/11.

Of course, those two guys that had 100ME had resumes and logbooks that said they had over 200ME, if you get my drift.

I point this out mostly to agree, in principle, with that which has been stated already... Having 100ME or 200ME or 2000ME is not really the point. The point is whether or not you can adapt to the training program and adapt to the airline way of life. The half-dozen-plus guys I know who are at EJ now who actually had the mins when they were interviewed have done no better or no worse, near as I can tell, as the guys who flew with the Bic (seniority issues aside). Heck, I think a reasonably intelligent, proficient pilot with ZERO ME time (no ME rating, even) could easily learn to make it through the training program at most airlines.

I am still mystified that EJ feels that they need to lower their mins to 600/100... I will ask this again, as it's never really been answered, why do y'all feel you need to lower the mins to this point? Surely there are enough qualified applicants who meet the old minimums??

To the person that started this thread... Find a way to get that next 50hrs and you'll probably get the interview. Be careful to not have TOO much time, though... From what I understand, EJ is reluctant to offer you a job if you have too much TT as compared to your ME time, as it suggests you haven't had the "drive" to make yourself competitive as soon as possible (as a f'rinstance, I don't personally know anyone who was hired there that had over 2000TT, though obviously some people have been hired with that and more, like another poster on this thread).

Last edited:
Doogie said:
No BS take a good look at your multi time and ask yourself honestly Do I have enought time and experience with a Multi complex airplane to have a shot at making it though a class at any airline?
To add to my own prior post... This mindset is something that I find totally vexing... What about the pilot that has a ME rating, but only 15 hours or so that they got when they went for the rating... But has 2500TT, 1500 of which is in a Caravan flying night freight, single pilot?

Is this person REALLY less qualified than the guy/gal who has 600TT, but had the $$$ to rent a Seminole for 100hrs? In my mind, the ME requirement is simply to thin out the herd of applicants. Is flying a big twin really any different from flying a complex single? Unless, of course, you have an engine failure?

In my 4700hrs of flying ME airplanes, I've never had a failure that would make the airplane any more difficult to fly than a single of similar performance. I'd bet that my experience is similar to that of most pro pilots... And for those pro pilots that HAVE had a failure of an engine in a multi-engine airplane, do you think that your many hours of ME time was the reason you didn't spin it into the ground? Or... Was it the training in such situations in the sim that taught you how not to crash?

I think the ME minimums are bogus as refers to the innate qualities of a pilot applicant. Like I said above, it just helps drain the pool of applicants when you can go straight for the "more qualified" pilots. However, when the minimums are 600/100, exactly how qualified are the applicants anyway? I simply don't understand why a company the size of EJ needs to make the mins this marginal (even at my lowly company, someone with this time would be only 50% of the way in both categories to even qualify for an interview, regardless of the quality of their recommendations).

Last edited:
BRA said:
50 multi and got the ATR at coex? A bunch of your friends too? 12 multi and got the baron at airnet? I swear i do everything the hardest way possible!!!!!! Amazing how important timing is. A year ago today I don't think eagle or coex were even hiring. Around january and feb. coex was hiring and you needed 500 multi just to continue the online application i think. Now they want 600 total time. I hope the majors get jumping like this in the next few years!
I just told a bunch of college kids who are just starting out that there has NEVER been a better time to be doing what they're doing. Think I'm nuts? When I got out of college in 1994, nobody was hiring....my flight instructors had 1500tt and couldn't get spit on by Great Lakes - they're at SWA, NJA, UAL now. History proves that the airline industry ebbs and flows. Sure, there are events like 9/11 that accelerate the downswing, but even with the current troubles, the industry will recover (may not look like it does today, but it will recover), and there will be plenty, I say again, PLENTY of jobs for those who really want it.

And I say don't worry about the thousands of pilots who are furloughed, many of them have gotten other jobs and won't come back, lots are taking early retirements, and the LCCs are going to grow. Yes, times are tough now, but if you look at history, this is almost predictable. By 2006-8, everyone who wants a flying job will have one. It's true that you won't make $250,000 and fly a B-747 10 days a month, but that dream wasn't realistic in the first place.

If you love flying, stick it out. You may ONLY make $80,000/yr flying an RJ, but that still beats a desk job and golden watch after 30 yrs.

Flame away if you want, but history will prove me right.

Time2Spare said:
I just told a bunch of college kids who are just starting out that there has NEVER been a better time to be doing what they're doing. Think I'm nuts?
Those starting out can expect to be hitting the job market in 4-5 years. Will/can this current hiring trend last that long? How many regionals will be still taking jet orders by then? How many regional/major airlines will disappear through consolidation by then?

Sure there will be a ton of retirements but it seems that the top of the job pyramid is shrinking just as fast. When was the last time that CAL showed growth of even 1 pilot? 5 years? 6 years?

I agree the industry ebbs and flows but I think now we're seeing a shift rather than the standard ebb and flow. No longer can we time hiring surges as the traditional carrier progression is gone. Before the majors would hire from the regionals who would hire from the cargo/instructor field. Everyone was in a magical conga line. Now that draw from the top is in question and may never return as we once knew it which then jeopardizes one's expectations of pilot growth at those lower levels.

We're seeing pilots jump from one regional to the next, from a major to a LCC, fractional to fractional, LCC to LCC, etc. There is a see of pilots out there that just waiting for the next big opening. When these fleet orders at the regionals/nationals slow or stop in a few years things could be real tough for the new guys.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back