Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does AOPA work against professional pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airlines are not proposing user fees because the system is under funded. The FAA is totally funded and is slated to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

User fees are a way to pass the costs from airlines to anyone else...in this case general aviation. There is no question there are some business jets that get a free ride so-to-speak (which isn't even technically correct because they still have to pay gas tax), but for the most part general aviation use smaller airports away from the busiest airspace in this country. The airlines pay a larger portion to fund the FAA but they also use a larger portion of the system.

Don't be fooled by the ATA, they are out to serve one interest alone and that is airline profits. That's not to say that airlines profiting is a bad thing, I am happy my company is making money, but I'm not counting on the 'trickle down' to affect my pay check considering they made money during bankruptcy at the same time they demanded pay cuts from us...but I digress.

Further evidence the ATA is only looking out for it's own interest is it's refusal to bare any responsibility to the endless delays this summer. Instead they blame air traffic controllers and the FAA, in general. They are partly right, but if they didn't schedule more flights than a particular airport could handle there wouldn't be delays. Their solution? Give airliners priority handling over GA aircraft.

The bottom line is the airlines have fabricated a problem that doesn't exist (aviation funding) and refuse to address or even acknowledge the over crowding of many northeast airports.

My problem with the user fees is that I know just like any other fee from the gov't (toll roads, lottery, etc.) they will take the money generated and put it towards airports and the ATC system, but they will take the existing money being put towards improvements and slash it, making a net gain of zero. If it worked like it was suppose to I would be for it, but it doesn't.

We all know that airlines take priority over small GA aircraft when in theory they arn't suppose to. Same reason freighters will get vectored all over the sky so United can get in. Its just how it works. No need to fix something that isn't broken there.

Last edited:
Put the fees where they need them like slots at LGA, TEB, EWR, etc. leave me at 7D2 alone.

We all know that airlines take priority over small GA aircraft when in theory they arn't suppose to. Same reason freighters will get vectored all over the sky so United can get in. Its just how it works. No need to fix something that isn't broken there.

I've never seen this. It's certainly true small airplane and jet speeds don't mix which at times makes it appear like the airliner is getting preference, but I don't think that's the case. For instance, a jet 15 miles from the airport is closer to the airport, in point in time, than a small piston (and even some turboprops) 7 miles away. Just my opinion.

I've never seen this. It's certainly true small airplane and jet speeds don't mix which at times makes it appear like the airliner is getting preference, but I don't think that's the case. For instance, a jet 15 miles from the airport is closer to the airport, in point in time, than a small piston (and even some turboprops) 7 miles away. Just my opinion.

I'm inclined to agree with Way2Broke on this one. I've seen first hand how the airliners will get priority handling over others. When I flew freight, there would be many times that I'd be vectored all over kingdom-come so that an airliner can get in ahead of me. This is regardless of the relevant speeds and who got to the airport first. I've also seen this happen not only in jets (specifically a Lear 35) but in turboprops and pistons too. When flown on a freight profile by a properly trained pilot, a Caravan or Baron can and will outrun any airliner on approach out there. They don't necessarily have the forward speed, but in descent and in the ability to slow from cruise speed to approach/landing speed these planes have the heavy metal beat.

No, because the AOPA legal plan expressely doesn't cover you during an appeal, and that's when the legal counsel is really needed.

quote]

I thought that most enforcement action cases are settled without having to appeal before an ALJ.

Often times what might warrant a 90 day suspension might be reduced to 30, or a certificate action is dropped in exchange for a civil penalty, etc.

Certainly this legal plan would be beneficial in these matters.

Latest resources

Back