• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does a Masters Degree help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea, DAL is one of the 5 or 6 that make it a hard requirement, in fact for while that had a list of something like 250 schools they would accept degrees from. Plenty of time to get that degree before they start hiring again.

Yip has some good things to say, but this is one matter where we differ. Education will never hurt you. I'm working on an MBA, so obviously, I'm in the "go for it" camp. This is my rationale:

* A wise person within the industry once told me that everyone is a clone of everyone else--the same education, flying background, etc. Anything that can be done to stand out from the crowd is worthwhile.

* Do I think that having an MBA will get me a flying job? No. It might help, but it won't be a deciding factor. But I'm doing it more as a hedge against a furlough or a flight department closing or a lost medical. You've got to have skills.

* Having an MBA will open up a lot of opportunities should I ever become disaffected with professional flying.

* Since my interests lie in corporate flying, having an MBA would allow me to serve in a dual capacity for an organization, i.e. corporate pilot and something else.

* I'm actually not in a real big hurry to take a $10k pay cut to commute and sit reserve and become embroiled in union politics. SJS? Not me. Maybe someday the time will come for that. Maybe I can figure out something better in the mean time. We'll see.

BenderGonzales said:
At the very least it might open doors to you that are outside of aviation. If the last 4 years haven't convinced everyone that plan "B" is a necessity... well, i'm not sure what will.

True dat!

Unfortunately, starting a masters degree just isn't as easy as writing a check and going to class. You have to take that GMAT and go through the stress of waiting to be accepted into a program again.

Unless you luck out like me, then your company pays for it. And my program didn't require the GMAT.

-Goose

Last edited:
May I ask where you're going to school, Goose? I am thinking about Santa Clara U... they have a 3-years-of-Saturdays MBA as well as the night courses. I'll need to get my GMAT done quickly....

Pilot or MBA, which is it?

You have to decide on what you want to be a MBA or a pilot. If is a pilot, you fly airplanes and build resume stuff. It will take approximately 10 years to get to a career position in aviation. You have to commit to the time frame to make it. To not fly and get an MBA may be fun but it does nothing for your flying career. Now to get a MBA on the side, nothing wrong with that, it is a useful degree helps you understand money, investing, how businesses work,etc. However the fall back value of a MBA in greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management. But at age 53 after Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, plumping floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

Last edited:
anyone 50+ that is put on the street through is in a particularly tough position and has my sympathy. i too have been there. my degrees didn't help me as much as my friends. who i am very grateful to have. i hope someday i can pass the favor on to someone else.

Immelman said:
May I ask where you're going to school, Goose? I am thinking about Santa Clara U... they have a 3-years-of-Saturdays MBA as well as the night courses. I'll need to get my GMAT done quickly....

Hey, Immelman. I'll shoot you a PM if I haven't already done so.

pilotyip said:
To not fly and get an MBA may be fun but it does nothing for your flying career. Now to get a MBA on the side, nothing wrong with that...

I completely agree. I should have stated in my original post that I would not pursue an MBA if it would not allow me to continue to instruct full-time. Luckily, my program meets in the evenings, so I will continue to fly as much as I ever did. In fact, the free tuition for the MBA is one of my perks for flight instructing full-time for this particular organization.

However the fall back value of a MBA in greatly over rated.

You may have a point there, Yip--the "fall-back" value of a 30 year old degree may not help much. I'm a little more concerned with the short-range, say 5-10 years. And besides that, I'd say that an MBA is probably better than nothing.

It's been funny to hear the reactions of people in different professions when I tell them I'm going for the MBA. The pilots' opinions are mixed; the business people are all for it.

-Goose

Last edited:
I'm sure not having the degree is holding me back, AND that is why I am currently enrolled finishing it up.

pilotyip said:
You have to decide on what you want to be a MBA or a pilot.

Yip,

I appreciate your insight. Another way to phrase the question, though, is whether you want to fly someone else's airplane where and when they tell you to.... or be the one deciding when and where we fly to in what airplane. I think business school is a good choice for someone who wants a shot at the latter.

I don't have a particular desire to be rich either, I just think it would be swell someday to operate a small firm that needed flexible regional travel, and then enjoy the heck out of writing off the cost of operating a business aircraft... that's my current dream (as far as aviation is concerned anyways!!).

Latest resources

Back