• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you want to work for ExpressI/Norwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
latest news (crap) is that there will be 2 classes a month. 6-8 from the gulfstream flow through and the rest from what is remaining of the pool... When I say remaining, there is a rumor that they are planning on flushing the pool.

Those pre 9/11 or in class on 9/11 were evaluated and some were offered to come back and most were not.

No one is commenting on how "big" the pool is still, although 200 was the number until recently...

I personally do not agree with how they are handling this entire mess.... some people will get screwed and many already have been screwed...

Express Airlines I info...

Hello all,

To add my .02 to the mix, I was told by a higher-up in H.R. that the pool contained about 250 people, and that they weren't planning on hiring or interviewing until the fall. She did not say whether or not this was because they had/have a large pool to drain or what...she also didn't mention anything about the Gulfstream flow...does this deal with Gulfstream strike anyone as a little nuts?

Just out of curiousity, if and when I ever do secure an interview with Express Airlines I -- do you guys have a commuter clause? I'd be commuting from either MDW or ORD - would MUCH rather commute somewhere in the midwest than (gulp) the upper East Coast for another airline.

Thanks much, hope this helps, and good luck!

-brew3

I shouldnt comment but this whole gulfstream flow thru shows it works to fork over money to get ahead. This is the one thing I hate about aviation. I also know a guy who got on with ASA after paying his 32K to go to Flight Safety..he had about 350hrs and didnt want to instruct, or fly cargo, or tow banners...only wanted to be an rj pilot. He got his wish. SUCKS!

brew3departure

brew3departure...

The pool was always 200... there "were" an additonal 60-80 in training when the axe came down, most of them have been "asked not to come back".

Interviewing... I have heard two different dates... The late 3rd quarter is the main one floating around, but every now and then a late june date pops up.

The gulfstream deal... Not too many people understand this, other than the fact that Gulfstream is looking to fill some more $19,800 slots which I understand they have a waiting list for. We have heard from different sources that 37-40 were actually offered a class at EXA. Do the math and you'll see why "someone" wants this flow-through.

Commuter clause... Not really... we have something similar to ACA but for only once or twice a year it can be used. So I guess the real answer is no... Commuting while your junior is tough as the lines are not really built for true commuters. Although 60% or better of our pilot group are commuters.

They claim they are working on making the lines more commuter friendly, although I think each passing month they are getting slightly worse. A big factor is also where you live, some places are down right difficult regardless going to our 3 domiciles.

There isno real commuter policy. They do give you 2 or 3 call honest per year. Basically as long as you call ahead at least 1 1/2 hours before show and had a few options for your commute they will let it slide.

As stated though our schedules make commuting tough and in our last pilot meeting we were warned that they are only going to get worse for a while, hopefully better towards the end of the year. They did make no promises on that one though

Here is some "rumor" stuff I just received about express one.. I was interested until I read this. The "info" came from a gulfstream buddy.

"My contacts says the earliest realistic upgrade (if you have 3500TT and 1500 ME turbine) is 12-14 mos. with 18 mos. being the company's line. No pay during the "2 months" of training. No ID (i.e., no jumpseat ability) until you pass the checkride. If you quit or they fire you within 12 mos. of your checkride, you have to pay 100% of the training costs."

The part about no pay during training really irks me esp since the 2 months part is very flexible. Nothing like living in a hotel room for two plus months, not getting paid, with a bunch of other folks who are also not getting paid, trying to study for a checkride that your job depends on.

Here is some more info that might be helpful-

"Express Airlines I (soon to be "Pinnacle Airlines" when their IPO is consummated) was rumored to want a source of pilots with some 121 experience. It is now true-- about two weeks ago, they interviewed ~40 of our pilots, 1/3 captains. I went to interview between flights, took their "ATP" written test, and heard their "Gospel," but didn't interview (I had to go, because they started 2 1/2 hours late! Sounds like a typical F'd up regional.) It is not a flow-through, however. In a nutshell: They have 24 Saabs going away by 12/02 and 33 CRJ440's (44 seaters--NWA's scope clause limit). They will be all RJ by 12/02. 20 CRJs delivered in '03 and '04, for a grand total guaranteed of 83 CRJs by 12/04. They will have to compete with Mesaba for the other 221 CRJs NWA has ordered after their 83 promised. They have ~500 pilots now, with 200 hired in a pool (pre-Sept. 11), and 7 of our guys recently hired. I think they only will need ~800 pilots total, not much more hiring to go... "

Hope some of that is helpful
good luck

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back