• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

do you read in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes,... but I always clock out first so you won't have to be paying me.

Yes,....but I didn't inhale (but I didn't actually absorb the words)

Is this even a very common question asked?

Aside from reading any of these responses, it wouldn't seem like a good idea to admit to reading anything in leisure while flying. It seems like you're supposed to be focusing on the instruments and looking outside.

Obviously, if this were a serious question by an interviewer, they are undoubtedly looking to see how you answer. Purely an open-ended question. You are expected to be caught off-guard and perhaps sheepishly admit to having read a newspaper or magazine while flying, and I don't see how an honest answer will help you in anyway. Being able to answer tactfully should be enough for them. I suppose they want to see how you handle questions of this nature and how you either wiggle out of them or provide a reasonable answer. It may not necessarily be the question but the type of question and the reaction it elicits. You won't necessarily have to lie, just admit to reading flight related material; anything else would seem unsafe and not reccomended.

Green said:
the worst are the guys who insist on keeping a dark cockpit, strongly discourage reading (because it's against sop's), and then halfway through a red eye are sound asleep. Real professional...

Exactly! These are the same "by-the-bookers" ,with regards to this reading in the cockpit rule, are the ones who continue to fly fatigued.

Since our FAA mandated "rest" starts at block in, anybody on a reduced rest overnight knows what I'm referring to. So it's OK for you to fly fatigued, but reading in the cockpit is off limits because your so by the book? Give me a break.I would bet better than 20% of U.S. pilots fly fatigued at any given time. I know, I know, we're suppose to bang in a fatigue call if ncessary but how many times do you think your company will accept your fatigue calls? Once, maximum twice a year. After that they're going after you.

I've flown with captains who tell me no reading yet I watch them break half a dozen rules over a 4-day trip, including falling asleep on climbout. Yeah, they're real examples of professionalism.

I'm sure it's more than 98% of our industry that reads on the flight deck. The company knows it, the FAA knows it but they put this stuff in the manuals for public consumption.

But as far as an interview question, tell them you read your manuals to bone up on aircraft systems. That way you don't lie and you haven't violated any rules either.

Other than during a critical phase of flight, where is it published that reading in the cockpit is prohibited?

Last edited:
59PA said:
Other than during a critical phase of flight, where is it published that reading in the cockpit is prohibited?

Peter,

It is most likely published in the company ops manual where requirements are carefully defined. You may not agree/like that, but if you signed on and agreed to abide by company policy...well, what can you say ?

You don't have to like the plan; you just have to live with it. The "plan" may allow for recreational reading on the flight deck. If so, no problem. If not...well, what can I say ?

dollacrackho said:
any guy that does an interview and asks that question is a freakin pillow biter . gimme a freakin break, ask some pertinent questions for god sakes.

But you forget...this is an America West interview we're talking about.:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back