• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

do you read in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the worst are the guys who insist on keeping a dark cockpit, strongly discourage reading (because it's against sop's), and then halfway through a red eye are sound asleep. Real professional...

Reading

Are these the same guy's that fold their underwear three times before putting them away in the suitcase.

Get a Freaking life!!!
and stay out of mine

eglpilot said:
If someone asked you this on an interview, how would you reply? Serious answers only please.
Of course, how in the hell are you going to get your weight balance done?

When I was at a commuter airline (in the old days, that's what they were called), an FO related a time he had to tell the Captain to put the newspaper down, as they were at the DH on an ILS with nothing in sight, and he was going missed. Talk about a laid back Captain.

any guy that does an interview and asks that question is a freakin pillow biter . gimme a freakin break, ask some pertinent questions for god sakes.

No sir I do not read unauthorized material in the cockpit to distract me from my work. Thats what the gameboy is for.

A good answer is:
"Yes I read from time to time in the cockpit... the Emergency Checklists and Procedures just so I can keep them fresh in my head in case the time arrives that I need them."

My big-big boss always sits in the middle left seat in back, which gives him a perfect view of my side of the cockpit. So it's hard for me to get away with reading anything, although the Captains usually put in a good 30 minutes or so every flight reading magazines and newspapers out of sight.

One time out of sheer boredom I was flipping thru the Emergency Checklists looking at emergencies I had never thought of, and the Captain started talking to me so I had it propped up on my knee, but wasn't paying any attention to it. After about a minute one of our guys yell from the back "Why you reading about Engine Failures??" I just smiled back and said "We had to shut one down a couple minutes ago, you didn't hear that?" He got all serious, and started looking out the window at one of the engines while I laughed.

Since then, I've always been very concious what they can see that I'm reading!

I would respond that I have, and will, comply with the Flight Operations Manual and its appropriate guidance. I would then be able to at least paraphrase that guidance.

I have read non-pertinent material in flight. So have you. So have all the captains, check airmen, etc that sit on your interview board.

AFAIK, the "have you ever broken a reg?" question is common and you're better off having a creative answer ready.

Them: Have you ever read a newspaper or magazine [or some such question] while on duty on the flightdeck?

You: No, sir/ma'am, I know that's prohibited by [insert manual or reg here]. But one night on a long flight from ABC to XYZ, I did read a short note and a picture that a little girl in 41F wanted the FAs to give to 'the pilot'

The only time during an interview i would admit to breaking a reg would be that if I could explain how my actions were necessary and conducive to safety.

The interviewers who ask questions that tempt a candidate to incriminate themselves are wasting everybody's time. It's a Catch-22. If you say 'yes' than you're a rule-breaker. If you say 'no' then you're a liar. It's lose-lose and a good interviewer knows so.

I invite interview airmen to chime in!!

Almost everybody reads. Just don't admit it on your interview.

If someone asked you this on an interview, how would you reply? Serious answers only please.

I would answer honestly and then seriously consider whether I want to work for a company that asks this kind of a question in an interview.

Latest resources

Back