• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you mean to tell me....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does Delta reimburse you for the "Africa shots" that are now a pre requisite to have before training? What if you have complications?

Last edited:
Does Delta reimburse you for the "Africa shots" that are now a pre requisite to have before training? What if you have complications?

Initial shot for yellow fever is on your own dime, reimbursed for subsequent vaccines. If you're allergic to eggs, you can be exempted from the requirement.

A newhire does have to pay for hotel or crash pads after Indoc currently. If the sim happens to be somewhere else other than ATL (some 717 sims are done in MIA), then the company picks that up plus per diem.

This was brought up by the union in the latest contract survey. One of the questions asked if that should be changed via upcoming negotiations, meaning it's on their radar.

While you're at it, look up newhire pay at all 3 legacies. DL's is $68 an hour now (as per APC), and will increase to $71 an hour Jan 1st. AA's is $40 an hour, and UA's is $66. DL also gets profit sharing (AA doesn't), along with UA, but UA hasn't had very profitable quarters earlier this year. That may change due to lower oil, which will be good for everyone.

Bye Bye---General Lee

90% of this post is noise GL. Honestly, there's no reason for a carrier like DAL which is enjoying well earned prosperity to force new hire pilots to pay for hotels. There is no excuse. That's a slap in the face that DALALPA should not tolerate.

90% of this post is noise GL. Honestly, there's no reason for a carrier like DAL which is enjoying well earned prosperity to force new hire pilots to pay for hotels. There is no excuse. That's a slap in the face that DALALPA should not tolerate.

Agreed, and as I stated that was in the latest pilot contract survey, meaning it's on the radar. Still, the pay afterwards is a lot more than the rest, especially AA.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Agreed, and as I stated that was in the latest pilot contract survey, meaning it's on the radar. Still, the pay afterwards is a lot more than the rest, especially AA.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I don't disagree. I was just quite surprised to see that DAL didn't pay for hotel's. I'm confident you guys will correct that.

I don't disagree. I was just quite surprised to see that DAL didn't pay for hotel's. I'm confident you guys will correct that.

Well, I hope so. And to clarify, DL does pay for the first two weeks.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bye Bye---General Lee

A new hire at UAL will make 91 hours a month, plus $50/day in per diem, unlimited positive space travel on your days off, all hotel expenses paid... For the duration of training. In the first three months, they've cleared more than a DAL new hire will make all year when accounting for cost of living/PFT.

UAL year 2 pay is higher, guarantee is higher, DC is higher, and there are new hires going to wide bodies in droves.

May want to start there on your next contract.....

A new hire at UAL will make 91 hours a month, plus $50/day in per diem, unlimited positive space travel on your days off, all hotel expenses paid... For the duration of training. In the first three months, they've cleared more than a DAL new hire will make all year when accounting for cost of living/PFT.

UAL year 2 pay is higher, guarantee is higher, DC is higher, and there are new hires going to wide bodies in droves.

May want to start there on your next contract.....

That's a good sell job to get newhires there, hiding other problems that still exist. I like how you state "year 2 is higher pay." What about year 1? Line guarantee at DL is 65 hours, although that hasn't been the case in years. Reserve average at DL is 75.5 hours, which is higher than UAL's 73, and on first year that adds some cash. How is your profit sharing? Your first quarter was a loss as I remember. You might want to start with better management. So far it will be two months pay, with more possible to lower oil.

Your guarantee was always higher, they flew you up to 90 hours every month according to my buddies that are on your 320/319. Prior to your merger it was pretty bad. I'm glad it took your merger to finally fix most of your problems, and your additions to your contract was based off of DL.

If your airline got some decent management that could rally your troops, then it would be even better. Most pilots I know there really don't like Jeff, at all. That's not really the case at DL, most like RA think he's a trend setter that most other airline CEOs follow.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
youre right, first quarter was a loss. Morningstar estimates it was a book keeping strategy for end of year taxes. Couple that with Q3 estimates of $2.7 eps that puts the company at $1.4b. But what's more important... Crediting 85 hours a month and 15-17 days off, on year one.

Yeah, year one pay is higher too... Not eligible for profit sharing until 12 months service.

Two years of profit (in how many years) and you act like the previous 15 never happened.

Last edited:
youre right, first quarter was a loss. Morningstar estimates it was a book keeping strategy for end of year taxes. Couple that with Q3 estimates of $2.7 eps that puts the company at $1.4b. But what's more important... Crediting 85 hours a month and 15-17 days off, on year one.

And that doesn't happen at DL? Guys are getting lines after a couple months, and the pay is higher at DL at year 1. Right now Profit Sharing is at least twice what it was last year (16% of the W2 or 2 months pay), and that could go higher. The first 5% was just paid out to everyone at the company. I'd say that helped a lot of newhires, and that was unexpected. They are eligible for profit sharing year one. And the profit sharing checks ALSO have a DC contrubution. So, a profit sharing check worth two months pay has an additional 15% DC payment. For a $10K profit sharing check (just an arbitrary number) , that's an extra $1500 DC contribution on top of that. I'd say that equals your extra DC percent.

Regardless, I think DL and UA are better choices than AA and the LCCs. And I haven't forgotten about the last 15 years, even though you and I would like to forget the last 10. I'd say the next 20 will be a lot better, hopefully.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back