• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you enjoy instructing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I first started flying, I had no desire to be a flight instructor.. I just didn't want to do it.. Well.. here I am.. CFI/CFII and MEI..

I enjoy it most days... It feels good to take a struggling student and mold them into something that will pass a checkride, or the look most students give you when they just passed their checkride and they just want to thank you for everything you've done for them.. it also feels really good at the end of the day when you go home and put your times in the log book. :)

Last edited:
"Maybe if you could make a decent living as an instructor, people wouldn't be in such a hurry to move on."

Tell that to my GF thats a HS bio teacher teaching your AP kids. Teaching should NOT be taken so lightly.

When are we gonna pay teachers enough? When we are offically the most behind/backward country in the UN.

I like teaching. I have learned a lot from it and am a much better pilot than when I started. It is definately a rewarding job, just maybe not in the bank account. It has made the last year of school go by a lot quicker. I decided to become an instructor as a way of moving up the ladder, but have enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I would definately reccomend it.

macfly said:
When has paying your dues included flat lining a whole profession such as flight instruction. Admit it, no one wants to teach. They did the job because it might lead them to "other experiences." You got into this to fly light airplanes didnt ya?

BS

But since your paying your dues, its all justified, even the class F students you are producing.

Congrads.

I must say i respect that your ambitions are to Instruct people as a career but i do not respect the fact that you think you are some hot instructor especially if your TT is really 400 hours. Plus i paid my dues as an instructor and never produced a "CLASS F STUDENT" Who are you to judge a group of previous flight instructors whom you do not know. I instructed for just unde a year year and signed off 12 students 11 of which passed on the first try. i took a great deal of pride in my job and earned respect from my students.

UGA flyer should be able to make a living teaching GA stick and rudder. Why cant he? Hes good and likes his job.

BTW, go dawgs, did a semester there I think.

Did you ever consider maybe he doesn't want to teach "stick and rudder" all his life?

How much STICK and rudder time do you have macfly?

While the ambition to be a career flight instructor is rare and admirable, the fact is, for many of us - whether we like it or hate it - it's a means to an end..

I've only had 4 busts and all of them were things that there was simply nothing I could have helped.. So far, I have turned out not a single class F student..

Tram, you have it too!- that bug that doesnt want to leave teaching. Don't deny yourself!

Tell me the truth, you like breaking through to someone more than dialing in an
autopilot. But alas, you have earned the right to twist the little knobs.

But, honestly the fact is - its- so much fun to plp watch in airports, who the hell would not want to be there on offical bis.

i think an important element to being a good meat driver is the pure fasination with the general public and a deepseeded inclination to help them all.

ass gas or grass nobody flys for free.

Haha.. The bug eh? :)

I don't mind teaching, but I will wait until I leave to tell you I miss it, as right now, I don't think I will.. I'm sure I'll miss bits and pieces of it sure..

I have no desire to fly people.. If I have to, fine.. I would much rather fly cargo..

I actually like engaging an autopilot. :) I would much rather engage an auto pilot and cruise across the sky at 300KIAS than do steep turns in a seminole allll daaayyy lonnnggg.. :)

sometimes i like it sometimes i hate it...
lately, with this one dum ass......... arrrrghhh

how many times can you say look outside and right rudder in an hour???

Don't be too eager to accept any instructing job. Some places really take advantage of eager new-hires. I got lucky and teach at a great place, but I could have just as easily gone somewhere and got exploited.

PS some seasoned instructors I worked with took a pay cut to move to the regionals- and miss out on a lot of unique aircraft and airports.

Latest resources

Back