Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do USAirways FOs (190) need first class every 6 months?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is a seasonal schedule. E190 flying AB trips for the "slow months". Last year US Airways wanted to put a 3rd pilot on the Embraer so it could fly back to PHL on the same day but didn't had enough pilots,so they had no choice but making it a 2 day trip with 24 hour overnight in Punta Cana. Nice right!!. Well this year they are getting away with it. My problem with it is the cost of a First Class Medical that is only going to be needed for six weeks or so untill the trip goes back to the AB. At E190 payrates a 1st Class medical is an expensive thing. At least the company should reimburse those pilots that need to have it just for a few weeks.
US Airways pilots getting screwed again. Haven't heard anything from USAPA either.

That is incorrect sir. Last year when marketing gave us short notice about putting the E190 on those routes for September and October we double crewed it BECAUSE the company did not want to burden the F/O's with the cost of medicals.

This year, as I have posted before, there has been an ICAO ruling that all SIC need 1st class medicals. It has nothing to do with the company and it's permanent.

So, if you're under 40... you still don't have to get one updated every 6 mos because in this case you're good for 12 mos (or does the ICAO rule trump that?)

So, if you're under 40... you still don't have to get one updated every 6 mos because in this case you're good for 12 mos (or does the ICAO rule trump that?)

For Non-Augmented crews (ie only two pilots)

Over age 60 - 1st class physical during each
6th calendar month

Under age 60 - 1st class physical during each 12th calendar month

So, for the average over 40 FO it adds 1 EKG per year

USAPA has been silent on this clust f*** since the FOM has changed for F.O. medicals, but out West our e-mails to Hogg and Bular are returned with misinformation! What other US airlines require a first class medical to operate international as SIC? None. Some East F/O in Europe got popped for only having a second class medical doing IRO duties and the company decides the solution is First class for all, but six months only for F/O over 40, WTF? How can I fly SIC international with a first class that reverts to a second class the second six months of my medical and not be in violation of this ICAO rule? A first class medical is only good for six months, what about the other six months!!!

the company decides the solution is First class for all, but six months only for F/O over 40, WTF? How can I fly SIC international with a first class that reverts to a second class the second six months of my medical and not be in violation of this ICAO rule? A first class medical is only good for six months, what about the other six months!!!

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote here (if so, sorry, and disregard). But, under 40 the First Class is valid for 1 year now -- domestic or international. The ICAO requirement doesn't have anything to do with a time period per se. It just means you have to have a 1st Class medical, with a valid period (6 months over 40, 1 year under 40).

As for the company requirements, hopefully they can explain it a little more clearly than they have so far...

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote here (if so, sorry, and disregard). But, under 40 the First Class is valid for 1 year now -- domestic or international. The ICAO requirement doesn't have anything to do with a time period per se. It just means you have to have a 1st Class medical, with a valid period (6 months over 40, 1 year under 40).

As for the company requirements, hopefully they can explain it a little more clearly than they have so far...

Don't you have a paper due ? Get back to the books !!

FOM states first class for SIC once a year(over 40/A320 fleet)! Changed about two months ago. What about the last six months that it becomes a second class?

Little Deuce,

That is where the question lies. FOM says every six months. However, if you are under 40, it stays valid as a First Class for one year. It does not drop back to a second class until the one year point. Then it is valid as a second class for an additional year. So, do we need it every six months per company policy (as Carl pointed out), or do we only need to keep it at first class privledges????

GarbageMan -- I know, I know. At least I have the intro paragraph done. Not bad 1/4 of page 1 out of 35 pages finished. I still have a day and a half to go.... :laugh:

Latest resources

Back