Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do USAirways FOs (190) need first class every 6 months?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1st class medical

Do USAirways FO's need first class medical every 6 months now in case of international flight/ other?

Yes, there was a CBS out a few months ago. It's an ICAO ruling. We are also using IRO's now on some of the island flights from PHL.

Thanks for the info Little D. Is the 190 still only doing Bermuda from CLT or have they added some more exotic locations? On a different note, Is the big ol' Texan CD still in the 190 Trng. Dept. ? I hope so. How we squeezed ourselves into the 190 is still a mystery to me.

Puj & mbj

Thanks for the info Little D. Is the 190 still only doing Bermuda from CLT or have they added some more exotic locations? On a different note, Is the big ol' Texan CD still in the 190 Trng. Dept. ? I hope so. How we squeezed ourselves into the 190 is still a mystery to me.

The main reason for adding the IRO position is PHL to PUJ & MBJ. They will be out and backs.

Yes, C.D. AKA "TEX" is still here and going strong.

pardon my ignorance gentlemen...

why would an FO need a medical every 6 months on the E190?

We (JB) fly the 190 int'l and aren't required to get one every 6. Perhaps only certain destinations require this?

pardon my ignorance gentlemen...

why would an FO need a medical every 6 months on the E190?

We (JB) fly the 190 int'l and aren't required to get one every 6. Perhaps only certain destinations require this?

There has been an ICAO ruling requiring all SIC's to have a first class medical. Similar to the deal if you recall, SICs were required to have "SIC Type Ratings" a few years ago.

If you are a SIC and fly into Canada or another ICAO country and are ramp checked, you could be grounded there without one.

At US Airways, every pilot gets a PIC type when he/she goes through the qualification footprint but now they MUST have a First Class Medical.

It is a seasonal schedule. E190 flying AB trips for the "slow months". Last year US Airways wanted to put a 3rd pilot on the Embraer so it could fly back to PHL on the same day but didn't had enough pilots,so they had no choice but making it a 2 day trip with 24 hour overnight in Punta Cana. Nice right!!. Well this year they are getting away with it. My problem with it is the cost of a First Class Medical that is only going to be needed for six weeks or so untill the trip goes back to the AB. At E190 payrates a 1st Class medical is an expensive thing. At least the company should reimburse those pilots that need to have it just for a few weeks.
US Airways pilots getting screwed again. Haven't heard anything from USAPA either.

Latest resources

Back