Do Fractionals dislike charities?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

phr8dawg

I am aware that Citationshares supports Special Olympics, but is it your experience that the self-indulgent world of frac-flying is at odds with the notion of charities?

What charities are favored by fractionals, if any?

Thanks. Fly safe.

Last edited:
First, my answer to your question. I don't know.

However, whenever any business is involved in charities it results in one of two things or a combination of the two. Those are reduced returns to investors and/or increased cost to consumers. As a consumer or investor, I resent either. Let me give to whom and how much and when I want.

I am aware that Citationshares supports Special Olympics, but is it your experience that the self-indulgent world of frac-flying is at odds with the notion of charities?

NetJets as a company absolutely supports charities. In fact, they will match charitable contributions from employees, dollar-for-dollar.

As for our owners, that's an individual choice on their part, but here's just one example of their generosity:

NetJets Fractional Owner Donates 75 Hours

I went to the Netjets interview with a freight dog swagger and rather predictably did not get the job. My bad. (That isn't even a sentence, who thought it up?)

Anyway, the reaction I get at interviews when I mention charity work seems overtly negative, as though they don't believe me. Thats too bad, because they do good work that matters.

I'll fling paper at NJ again and hope for the best.

"Junk for Jesus" Those people in the charity business know what this means. Its not good enough to sell and its not good enough for your friends, but lets just give it to charity! You should give to charities because you believe in the cause and you have an excess of prosperity which could be put to better use elsewhere. It should not be for a tax shelter or a hidden agenda.

Theology brings out some serious bile here at flightinfo, but in truth all the church asks for is 10% of your income. That isn't much. I'll get off the podium now. Fire away.....

Are you preaching or asking an interview-related question, here?

In your interview, did you start talking about giving tithes (your ten percent) and "junk for Jesus?" If so, you can understand, hopefully, why you didn't get the job.

There are some things you don't expound upon in the interview, and you're not there to deliver tracts. You're there, hat in hand, asking for a job. The company isn't hiring you to perform charity work. The company isn't hiring you to pay tithing. The company is hiring you to fly an approach to minimums in a snowstorm with perfect certainty that you can do it safely with their trusted clientele on board.

The company is interested in knowing that you understand customer service. The company is interested in knowing that you can treat the customer as though they're the most important person in the world.

With a pissy little attitude like that, you ought perhaps to forget the interview right now. Self-indulgent? You don't have the job and already you've passed judgement (Judge righteously, for with what judgement ye judge, so also shall ye be judged...remember that one?). If you conveyed such a poor attitude in the interview, chances are that you already knew the conclusion, or should have. No job.

A fractional operator caters to the person who doesn't want to or can't afford to spend on the cost of a full airpalne. Often it's a corporation that would love the use of a private aircraft, but doesn't have the budget. A fractional operation makes it possible. It reduces cost, provides a positive image for a customer, enables business to be done at high speed at customized to the user's needs.

Fractionals carry celebrities who are forced to pay large sums of money to travel, because they can no longer move in public; it's a discreet, relatively cost effective way to go. Fractionals provide excellent value and service with an outstanding safety record. Fractionals also provide one of the best deals out there in the charter/corporate world. Time off, schedules, excellent training, and today, some good wages.

Even if you don't openly disparage the employer, entering the interview with that mentality isn't doing you any favors. Lose the attitude and you'll stand a much better chance.

Good answer, avbug. No, I do not parade my beliefs in interviews, but I want to work for an employer who gives back to the community or the church in a meaningful way because it matters to me. Fly safe.

You want a fractional aviation company, largely comprised of individual owners and shareholders, to contribute to a church? Which one?

You want to work for a company that gives back to the community? Try air ambulance. Aerial fire. Airborne law enforcement. Fly smoke jumpers. Fly humanitarian missions overseas. Spray cocaine in Colombia. Fly surveillance missions in Iraq. Lots of opportunities. How does the fractional arena fit into this?

You say that your employer must either donate to "the" church or give back to the community. Are you planning on marching back into the interview and asking the same question again? You state that you're preparing your papers for Netjets again. It didn't work out so well the first time. Are you planning a repeat performance?

Latest resources

Back