Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HMR said:
Makes sense to me.

EDIT* Now that you've edited your post it makes even more sense.;)

Yeah, I always think of a better way to explain myself 30 seconds *after* I hit the post button.:confused: :D

Under radar coverage ATC can sometimes request that you fly different legs/non-standard pattern/etc -- only the inbound course must remain as published.

AIM 5-3-7 states:

a. Whenever an aircraft is cleared to a fix other than the destination airport and delay is expected, it is the responsibility of the ATC controller to issue complete holding instructions (unless the pattern is charted)...

b. If the holding pattern is charted and the controller doesn't issue complete holding instructions, the pilot is expected to hold as depicted on the appropriate chart. ...

(5) DME/GPS Along Track Distance (ATD)

...The controller or the instrument approach procedure chart will specify the length of the outbound leg...

--
This gives the controller the freedom to change the procedure as he sees fit (to a degree). It also gives you the freedom to request an alternate hold if you wish, though no guarantee of approval.

The actual question was Do you have to fly 4nm outbound on the hold ENTRY.

I think if they put 4nm on there, thats what they want you to fly. If it were a maximum, it would make sense to me that it would be stated that way. Doesn't bother me at all to hold 4nm.

paulsalem said:
The actual question was Do you have to fly 4nm outbound on the hold ENTRY.

Yes, strictly speaking, that was the question. If however you believe that the holding legs *must* be 4 nm in length, why would a leg on the entry be any different?

paulsalem said:
I think if they put 4nm on there, thats what they want you to fly.
Can you think of any practical reason why it would be important to ATC for you to fly a full 4NM hold leg?

paulsalem said:
If it were a maximum, it would make sense to me that it would be stated that way.
Likewise, it could be said that if it were a mandatory length, it would be stated that way. Both the NACO and Jepp IAP legends speak only of "limits" on holds in lieu of PTs, there is no mention of mandatory leg lengths. If you were to look at the Jeppesen plate for that approach, it probably won't have any mention of the 4 NM leg. I say probably, because I don't have the Jepp plate for that approach. I have however looked at several Jepp plates for approaches where the NACO chart shows 4 nm on the hold, and the jepp shows nothing, just the racetrack outline and an altitude....so if the 4 nm is mandatory, how would you know that if you have Jepps? (note the 4 nm leg length is not much different than a 1 min leg at the maximum procedure turn speed of 200 kts, wind of course must be considered.)

The purpose of this hold is to reverse course, get established on the intermediate course and descend from the enroute altitude. (although ATC could issue a hold here for traffic sequencing) Normally, you'd only fly the entry, so if getting established and descending is not a problem, why *would* you fly the entire 4 nm? Can you think of any operational problem which would arise from flying a 2nm entry? There is so much emphasis placed in pimary training on making perfect 1 minute legs, I think that people begin to believe that leg length is actually important. It isn't, except as a maximum. The only people who care about precise 1 minute legs are CFI's and Examiners. In the real world, the only thing ATC cares about is that you don't exceed the limits of the airspace assigned to you for the hold. Other than that, you could be doing figure 8s in the hold, and they wouldn't care.

If you were being held there for ATC purposes, you'd actually *want* to do the full 4 nm legs, it's less work than making 1 minute legs because at 172 speeds 4nm legs means half as many turns, and because watching the DME is easier than timing. That's why you'll hear pilots who are holding for real ask for 5 nm or even 10 nm legs.

Last edited:
A Squared said:
If you were to look at the Jeppesen plate for that approach, it probably won't have any mention of the 4 NM leg. I say probably, because I don't have the Jepp plate for that approach.
Hey, look at the big brain on A Squared.:)

You are correct. The Jep plate only shows 4nm in the profile view. The same way it shows 10nm on most other plates. Pilots always (I hope) turn well before the 10nm point on those approaches. Why would this be any different? It's a "maximum" not a "mandatory". Good job!

Jules

A Squared said:
Heheheh, didn't do Brad much good, he still wound up dead <g>

Say Hold again -- I dare ya, I double dare ya, Say hold one more time!

With a 4nm leg, you would want to modify your teardrop entry a little since flying a 30 degree offset for 4 miles might put you an awfully long way from the inbound course.

I would fly the 30 degree offset for about 45 sec to 1 minute, then parallel the inbound for the rest of the outbound leg.

100LL... Again! said:
With a 4nm leg, you would want to modify your teardrop entry a little since flying a 30 degree offset for 4 miles might put you an awfully long way from the inbound course.

I would fly the 30 degree offset for about 45 sec to 1 minute, then parallel the inbound for the rest of the outbound leg.

Not necessarily. The templates which determine protected airspace for holding have enough width to provide protection for a teardrop entry as long as the holding leg, In fact the longer the holding leg, the "fatter" the airspace template is proportionally. you may wish to stay close to the inbound course as a mater of personal preference (I probably would also) but it is not required to remian in hte protected area.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back