DL to announce ATL--TLV on 777s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Apparently Delta will announce daily nonstop 777 service from ATL to Tel Aviv, Israel on October 6th. The new service will start in early 2006, and will be used to connect the SE and South America to Tel Aviv.

Here is the artice that was on Airliners.net.

Delta resuming flights to Israel after five-year hiatus
27.9.2005 | 17:04
Irit Rosenblum

After a five-year hiatus, Delta is resuming flights to Israel, after negotiations between Tourism Ministry Avraham Hirchson and the airline's management. Its decision adds 100,000 seats a year on flights to Tel Aviv.

Official notice of the resumption will be released only on October 6 at a press conference in Atlanta, in Hirchson's presence.

Delta is operating under the court's protection from creditors, but the injunction does not bar it from expanding its operations. If anything it is in the airline's interest to demonstrate that it is adding lines, to increase income.

It will apparently be inaugurating a daily Atlanta-Tel Aviv line in April 2006, and can be expected to significantly increase the traffic of evangelical tourism from the so-called Bible Belt.

The Tourism Ministry has been actively encouraging evangelical tourism and is mulling the establishment of an evangelical center on the shores of the inland Sea of Galilee.

Delta will be using Boeing 777s on the route, each jet with 268 seats. Its fleet has more than 600 jets reaching 87 countries each day. It also operates extensively in South America, a fact that Hirchson views as bringing extra potential tourism from there to Israel.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I've always been suprised why more airlines haven't done TLV, Continental has been running triple 7's over there for several years now and it's been one of their most profitable, they even added a second daily flight at one time I'm not sure if they still run both. Never the less, good move on Delta's part.

Well, atleast that route will require a 777 to go nonstop, since our 767ERs probably couldn't fly all the way over there. (even though they do fly ATl-Moscow nonstop) So, with our 8 777s, the majority of the flights will be ATL-NRT, ATL-TLV, and some LGW or CDG. I have heard also they will move some 764s to LGW and maybe to FRA, from CVG and ATL. Who knows? I have also heard that we are moving 28 planes from the domestic operation to INTL. (dom 767ERs and 764s)

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

How is the Moscow run from ATL going? Are the flights consistently full? I'd imagine there are quite a few pax that connect to SVO via ATL?

Oy vey!:)

ILStoMinimums said:
General,

How is the Moscow run from ATL going? Are the flights consistently full? I'd imagine there are quite a few pax that connect to SVO via ATL?

I think it is going very well. It is almost a 12 hour flight westbound, so that might be tough on the pax, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back