DL Shuttle fires pre-emptive strike at Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

I would assume the use of the MD88 in lieu of the 733s is in anticipation that Jetblue will inaugurate their own shuttle when the 190 arrives. Not a bad idea to placate the loyal customers before Jetblue arrives. Once DL goes into 11, they should be able to maintain a cost structure competitive with Blue for quite some time. I thought I remember seeing DL using some RJs on these routes. Maybe that was Eagle.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050811/clth500.html?.v=6

Maybe, or maybe putting more pressure on U! Beisdes, they are adding 14 seats a flight, which equates to an additional airplane or so, not tremendous really.

there's no loyality, its ticket price.

There you go again. Price of crude rose another dollar today, smashing another record as it smashed thru the $65 a barrel threshold.

Last edited:
lowecur said:
I thought I remember seeing DL using some RJs on these routes. Maybe that was Eagle.

You did. For a short time DL was using rj's as standby planes on these routes! However, AA does use the emb on this route as well. JMHO, but I think the 90 would be a better fit with the rear staircase.

DCA-BOS is all RJ flights

This doesn't seem to be anything earthshattering, whats the big deal.
BOSTON, MA​
(BOS) 403 mi

9:14N 10:45 5345​
CRJ

10:00N 11:25 5347​
CRJ

11:00N​
12:31 5284 CRJ

12:59​
N 2:25 5346z 0 CRJ

3:40​
N 5:17 5348z 0 CRJ

4:55​
N 6:34 5564z 0 CRJ

7:08​
N 8:41 5863z 0 CRJ

10:00​
N 11:20 5479z 0 CRJ

Last edited:
737 Pylt said:
You did. For a short time DL was using rj's as standby planes on these routes!
Yep and ALPA sued Delta over it. Delta stopped using RJ's on the route to keep the Delta MEC happy (this was back in the day when Delta had the luxury of caring) However, larger aircraft with competitive seat mile costs seem like a lot better idea than CRJ-200's. The E190's are competitive on a CASM basis.

737 Pylt said:
You did. For a short time DL was using rj's as standby planes on these routes! However, AA does use the emb on this route as well. JMHO, but I think the 90 would be a better fit with the rear staircase.

The 88 has a rear staircase as well. Is the 90's (staircase) bigger or something? Either way, I always thought the MD88 or 90 would have been better than the 737. It'll still be tough to beat the comfort and flexibility of the old 727s.

lowecur said:
I would assume the use of the MD88 in lieu of the 733s is in anticipation that Jetblue will inaugurate their own shuttle when the 190 arrives. Not a bad idea to placate the loyal customers before Jetblue arrives. Once DL goes into 11, they should be able to maintain a cost structure competitive with Blue for quite some time. I thought I remember seeing DL using some RJs on these routes. Maybe that was Eagle.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050811/clth500.html?.v=6

Jetblue ain't flying from LGA to BOS or DCA. JFK is a longer cab ride from Manhattan and adds to the lower Jetblue price. The Shuttle's main target is the Manhattan Businessman. Overall, the MD88s are nicer than our older 73Gs (737-300s with Glass), and have the aft airstairs, so deplaning can be faster. The Marine Air Terminal also is a better location and a tad bid closer to Manhattan than the main terminal. And yes, AA Eagle flies E135s and E140s on their Shuttle I believe.

As far as using RJs over Mainline aircraft, here is a paragraph about Indy Air and their problems:

"Although the latest move will give Independence some needed liquidity, analysts have warned that deferring A319 deliveries won't help the airline's cost structure because the Airbus planes have lower unit costs than the smaller regional jets that make up the bulk of Independence's fleet."

Bye Bye--General Lee

lowecur said:
I would assume the use of the MD88 in lieu of the 733s is in anticipation that Jetblue will inaugurate their own shuttle when the 190 arrives. [/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with JetBlue. The 733's are being retired very soon and DL has to replace them with something. Unless JetBlue can get a ton of slots at DCA/LGA, they'll have to run a shuttle from IAD/JFK. Most business travelers aren't going to like that.

Latest resources

Back