Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL/NWA SLI decision moved to pre-xmas....why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General,

Any word on the DC9's flying ? We could be putting winglets on them :)

Any word that does not come directly from flight ops concerning the DC9 will be interpreted or spun to support the premise of us losing positions and to bolster DALPA's SLI arguments.

I keep hearing about the 30 DC9's back onto the line as well but that's just as much a rumor as they are going away shortly.

Waiting for facts also.....regardless of SLI considerations more mainline aircraft are better for everyone at the new DAL

FWIW...I just came from the all hands meeting here at DAL this afternoon. All this talk of reduction etc...WAY overboard so just relax. Right now it has been approved to still HIRE 150 guys here next year and it was stated that in order to meet the projected summer flying hiring will have to take place. That was today...things always seem to change.

Oh, any NWA guy who is on the 757 get ready to get qualifed on the 767ER. From what I just heard you all will be the first to convert to DAL procedures etc. And yes NWA guys will be getting trained by retired DGS guys from Delta - no question on that one. We can all plan on A LOT of dead heading all over the place to start trips as well. The 747-400 will be the first NWA to migrate to ATL followed shortly by the 330 for trips South. Look for a 747 in ATL in the paint booth in short order as well. Also mentioned was an over all cut of managers by 25% while doing some growing in training, planning, schedulers who will mostly come from DAL side of things.

All in all fairly upbeat on things. Keep in mind - quotes like adjusting the size of an airline doesn't always mean cutting pilots. There are many things that can be "sized" just like the managers. If I had to choose Iwould take being a pilot over a middle manager right now...

Hang in there...

Thanks for the good words brother. And Welcome to all my new co-workers

FWIW...I just came from the all hands meeting here at DAL this afternoon. All this talk of reduction etc...WAY overboard so just relax. Right now it has been approved to still HIRE 150 guys here next year and it was stated that in order to meet the projected summer flying hiring will have to take place. That was today...things always seem to change.

Oh, any NWA guy who is on the 757 get ready to get qualifed on the 767ER. From what I just heard you all will be the first to convert to DAL procedures etc. And yes NWA guys will be getting trained by retired DGS guys from Delta - no question on that one. We can all plan on A LOT of dead heading all over the place to start trips as well. The 747-400 will be the first NWA to migrate to ATL followed shortly by the 330 for trips South. Look for a 747 in ATL in the paint booth in short order as well. Also mentioned was an over all cut of managers by 25% while doing some growing in training, planning, schedulers who will mostly come from DAL side of things.

All in all fairly upbeat on things. Keep in mind - quotes like adjusting the size of an airline doesn't always mean cutting pilots. There are many things that can be "sized" just like the managers. If I had to choose Iwould take being a pilot over a middle manager right now...

Hang in there...

That does sound good for you guys, as does the article posted shortly after your comment....but, how do you explain his usage of "fleet simplification"?
Don't forget all....he chose to retain Mike Campbell founding member of Ford & Harrison who also wreaked havoc at Continental with F & H tactics....
I hope for your sakes that all unicorns are real, but history
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=109308&highlight=Ford+&+Harrison
makes me a pessimist especially when Ford & Harrison are pulling the puppet strings...

Last edited:
Getting rid of the 742. Modifying the 787 order for some 200LR's and 300ER's Maybe more used 737's and 320's. Less of the others.
Remember DAL needs to feed the international monster. We also cannot give up too much market presence or we will start to see our base eroded.

Remember DAL needs to feed the international monster. We also cannot give up too much market presence or we will start to see our base eroded.

I thought that Europe's outlook was as dismal as ours? Isn't NW's Intl mainly Asia? Hope you're right, but "FLEET simplification" was an odd term to use immed after approval

Reliable intel, or speculation on your part?? PS what is with the umpteen digit employee #s?? They claim only 75000 or so employees.

Getting rid of the 742. Modifying the 787 order for some 200LR's and 300ER's Maybe more used 737's and 320's. Less of the others.

Latest resources

Back