• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dl/nw Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course DC9 to 717 was a step into the future and probably a tough one for most. (I still can't believe they let them do that!)

Going from 80 to DC9 is stepping backward a little; back to VOR nav. Does Deltas 88's have glass or steam gauges?

Finally, I guess there's no fence around NWA DC9's?

We took the boiler out of the 88's a long time ago. It has EFIS screens.

I hope there aren't any fences around the 9. That would change my commute to a driveable one.

Heard the same things recently during a NATCO visit. When I first went to the -80 it was the DC-9 course and then a short differences course and a few sims. Going -80's to a -9 would be the same or a little longer I'd bet. Getting the brain in shape should be fun. Couple airframes already out of the sandbox and when thre trip rigs change should see even more awards. Few dozen displaced folks so short course re-quals won't take long.

At TWA the DC9 to 717 was just a differences course and those two airplanes could not be more different.

No kidding? That would be a very busy differences course, especially since the DC-9 is more like a really fast DC-3 than anything else.

Alex, I'll take "mitigating damages from an airline merger" for $200.

Answer: Let the junior guys fly the heavy metal.

Question: How do you maintain a quality of life in the airlines.

Stopped by NATCO on my way to work. Some facts and rumors:

Facts:

1) They are ramping up for a significant increase of DC-9 training. Currently they are training new instructors from the line and hiring ATIs.

2) The block hours will be increasing on the DC-9 in 2009 quite significantly. Wish I knew the actually percentages of the increase.

3) The DC-9 daily block hour utilization is low so NWA can do a pretty large increase in block hours w/o bringing on more aircraft.

Rumors:

1) DC-9 aircraft will come out of the desert.

2) NWA will hire in summer '09.

Number two rumor leads me to question that I should have asked while at NATCO, that is if NWA needs pilots for summer 09 will all the hiring be done through Delta in ATL? Anyone?

NWA hires while DAL displaces.... interesting.

You guys act like it's rocket science to fly the dc9. I went from glass to the -9 and if you have decent flying skills it's easy and fun. Going from the -80 to the -9 should be a piece of cake. Stop acting like girls ;)

I think that you will see hiring this year. Fact is that both sides need it, but it will not come until a few things happen. This displacement bid is going to make many things quite short here at DAL. It will be good hunting for those left on the large twins this summer.

I think that you will see hiring this year. Fact is that both sides need it, but it will not come until a few things happen. This displacement bid is going to make many things quite short here at DAL. It will be good hunting for those left on the large twins this summer.

Hiring on either side is good news for all. I hope we can get some of the poolies brought on or at least reinterview those that are in the pool.

:beer:

You guys act like it's rocket science to fly the dc9. I went from glass to the -9 and if you have decent flying skills it's easy and fun. Going from the -80 to the -9 should be a piece of cake. Stop acting like girls ;)

How do you plan you descents without a VNAV box? I heard that in the DC-9 autopilot, you have to manually level off at each altitude. How much of a pain is that?

Latest resources

Back