Diver-driver requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

John2375

I've heard flying sky divers is a good way to build time when you're low-time like me, and i'm planning on sending out a resume to a few outfits in the area - anyone here 'been there done that' or still doing it? Any special requirements they look for or just have to be lucky and catch them when they're in need of pilots?

It was 10 years ago or so but I was flying jumpers the day after I got my commercial ticket. Visit the bases in person. Dress in clean street clothes not a suit. Be friendly and don't act like gods gift to aviation. Be willing to learn and ask questions. Chances are you will be flying a 182 or 206 at first. It's pretty much a no brainer for an average pilot. Up and down, greasy side facing the ground. Don't do stuipd things and scare the jumpers...or yourself. If you're in a more complex/ larger plane (I started in caravans and king airs), like a porter or twotter or any twin....get a good check out. Ride with someone a little longer and get a feel for big CG shifts and the drag associated with having 10 floaters on the outside of your plane. Don't let jumpers talk you into doing dumb $hit, but at the same time you want them to like and trust you. Take care of your plane...nobody else probably will.

Last edited:
Like any job timing is everything. Find out what equipment they fly, if your low time insurance would pobably only take you in a 182 or 206. Twin Otters, King Airs, and Caravans are popular now, but would take more experience to get in to.

I still fly jumpers occasionally, it's a fun way to stay current in flying G.A. aircraft.

Most D.Z.'s are going to want about 500 hours, but not all of them have that requirement.

Somebody from the D.Z. will give you a checkout, that could be a "chief pilot" or the owner of the D.Z.

Not much else to say about it other than it would probably be a good idea to sit in on a student ground school for the jumpers so that you have a pretty good idea of what is going on with the gear that people are wearing in the aircraft you are flying. Also, since you are wearing an emergency parachute, you probably might want to at least jump once, just to get over that scared feeling. I'd hate to see them find you seat belted into an aircraft that wasn't flyable, when you had a perfectly safe parachute system strapped to your back.

Places to go to find dropzones would be the USPA website, they have a listing of those there and the website is easily found by doing a Google search.

Winter time season = Florida, Arizona, California (but harder to get jobs)
Summer time season = anywhere up north. Lots of smaller drop zones with 182 & 206 that would love to pay you $7-10 a load.

minimum of 1000 hours is usual for turbine insurance requirements.

I agree with FNFAL, sit through a course and learn as much as possible about the operation and equipment, make a tandem or two. DZ would likely give you one for free. Just remember, skydiving is extremely fun so try not to get hooked on it! :)

Just remember jump piloting is almost all day VFR and mostly in a single until you have more experience.

http://diverdriver.com/

Last edited:
John2375 said:
I've heard flying sky divers is a good way to build time when you're low-time like me, and i'm planning on sending out a resume to a few outfits in the area - anyone here 'been there done that' or still doing it? Any special requirements they look for or just have to be lucky and catch them when they're in need of pilots?

I've flown skydivers in the past, and I am a somewhat experienced skydiver myself(a bit over 2000 jumps). Usually, DZ's require you to have a fair amount of time, or a fair number of skydives(a few hundred, at least). Not all have this requirement....it depends on the DZ owner and the part of the country they are in, which directly correlates to availability of pilots.

I, personally, won't get in an airplane with a pilot that has less than about 100 hours flying jumpers, or 100+ skydives. Prior to that, I feel that they are still in the learning stage, and I don't need to jump bad enough to be a crash test dummy in the event that something goes wrong at a very low altitude. I've been on an airplane where something went horribly wrong at a low altitude.....luckily, I was able to get out immediately since I was sitting next to the door.

Your best bet is to go out to the DZ and speak with the owner, pilots, instructors, and experienced skydivers. Hang out with them. If they like you, they're less hesitant to let an inexperienced pilot "drive the bus", so to speak.

I highly recommend, as FN FAL does, making at least a skydive or two, or at the very least attending a first jump course groundschool to get some insight as to what goes on in the skydivers world.

I too, recommend jumping at least once for a better understanding of whats really happening. Its not necessarily as easy as it sounds. Its a fun job. Laid back and relaxed atmosphere for the most part, as far as a flying gig goes (pilot uniform = t shirt, board shorts, and flip flops). Check www.dropzone.com 's classified section. Under employment, there's usually a listing for pilot need somewhere. You can also check the location of dropzones near you. Be weary of some operators. The aircraft are often the largest overhead with the business and some guys like to cut corners. Stand up for yourself when it comes to maintenance, fuel, loading, and weather. I started in 182's, moved into caravans, and now mostly flying twin otters. Like was said before, its all day VFR, leaving and departing the same place. Make sure you stick to the rules as far as clouds go, jumpers will try to convince you "its fine". Keep in mind that's its a total time builder, not gonna get xc/night/instrument. I'm fortunate enough that my boss has contracts all over, so I do get some ferry time, but its few and far between. When I started, insurance requirements for the van were 800TT and 25 in type(which you get from training). For the twotter I think it was 1000TT and 50 Multi (not positive). Be prepared to be there all day, especially in Summer. I think the most otter loads I've flown in one day is 26. Its super repetitive, but you get super efficient. Once you get "spotting" dialed in and earn the trust of jumpers, there's no shortage of free beer or occasional displays of nekkid breasteses. Oh, and you get turbine and multi time too.:D

Last edited:
Don't let jumpers talk you into doing dumb $hit
Ya right, the main requirement is that you are breathing and have a valid certificate, can be a hard job at a big DZ, lot's of new pilots start jumping within the first two months and it's time to look for another pilot, beer drinking is also a requirement, good luck.:beer:

I flew jumpers for a summer when I had only 300TT. I showed up at the DZ and spoke to the guy in charge. We did a few T&Gs in the C-182 and then he rode behind me for a few "hop n pops". That was about it.

It was a fun job and definately had it's share of challanges. GPS has made spotting idiot proof. The airplanes are useualy in rough shape, and the operators at the smaller ones will definately try to talk you into flying when you shouldn't. You need to have the character to stand up for yourself.

Latest resources

Back