Diver-driver requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USMCmech said:
I flew jumpers for a summer when I had only 300TT. I showed up at the DZ and spoke to the guy in charge. We did a few T&Gs in the C-182 and then he rode behind me for a few "hop n pops". That was about it.

It was a fun job and definately had it's share of challanges. GPS has made spotting idiot proof. The airplanes are useualy in rough shape, and the operators at the smaller ones will definately try to talk you into flying when you shouldn't. You need to have the character to stand up for yourself.
That all sounds familiar. Both drop zones I flew at were pretty good regarding keeping the planes up to speed maint wise as they realized that inop aircraft don't make money, but you do hear about that shady operator out there.

And you're correct on pushing, you just have to be the "man" and not let them get you in a compromising situation. If you have to, keep some cold beer handy and if they push you, pop one and take a sip and announce that you're done for the day. If they don't like that you won't fly dirty, good riddance to them.

USMCmech said:
GPS has made spotting idiot proof.

Maybe idiot proof....but not moron proof! :D I've been to some DZ's that they turn on the green light, everybody starts yelling "GO GO GO!" without even looking....and half the time several people land out. I won't exit if I don't think I'll make the planned LZ, regardless of how much people yell at me.

Of course, there are a few pilots that when they say go, I go....and check the spot as I'm exiting....like Mullins... I've never had Mike put me in a bad spot(or tried to get me to exit in a bad spot), but he's one of only two pilots I can say that about.

DZ's are a pretty unique place.....but you'll never have as much fun in aviation as you will while flying for, and hanging out at, a DZ. The people are....ummm.....different... :D As others have said, stand your ground when it comes to MX, aircraft loading, fuel, WX, etc...don't let the jumpers or DZO/management push you around.

2200 hrs flying jumpers-- did I just admit that? I started in a 182 and then got about 800 BE -18. I agree with the above posts about standing up for yourself. Grow some THICK skin. Some jumpers don't like to ride in the airplanes, so fly every load like your'e on a checkride. A few will try to see what you are made of in your early days, just deal with it. A lot of pilots jump.Two took resumes in for me. I flew an E 90 with him for a year. I got into Lears with the other guy. The drop zone operator also paid for my Jumpmaster and Instructor ratings.

Here's an excellent opportunity for someone looking to get into the business. I've flown for the folks at N68, they're good people. I think the B90 is probably one of Pauls from CSS though.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=71859

Low time jump pilot
Title: Jump Pilot for 182/206 & King Air
Company: Chambersburg Skydiving CenterProduct/Service: Location: PARequired Travel: NoneJob Type: Full-timeEmployment Type: Permanent
Description: Chambersburg Skydiving Center in south central Pennsylvania is looking for a pilot for the 2006 season. We are looking for a team player to work Wednesday thru Sunday from April first through November first. We fly a Cessna 182, a Cessna 206 and a Beechcraft B-90 King Air.
Requirements: You must have 1000 hours logged for the King Air and 500 hours for the Cessnas and be commercial pilot.
Company Benefits:
Contact Information: N/A[email protected]Fax: 717-264-1111Chambersburg Skydiving Center

Maybe idiot proof....but not moron proof! :D I've been to some DZ's that they turn on the green light, everybody starts yelling "GO GO GO!" without even looking....and half the time several people land out. I won't exit if I don't think I'll make the planned LZ, regardless of how much people yell at me

Yes! I love it when experienced jumpers land off and after walking back to the dz, proclaim, "what was with that spot? We were in F ing Bolivia!". Then the first question I ask is, "did you look before you got out?" That usually leads to a moment of silence. I would say that the number of times people landed off with me flying and it was entirely my fault would be counted on one hand. I don't intentionally put people off and I pay attention to who's on every load and adjust giving the lights accordingly, but when jumpers exit, I'm assuming they know the score. How's it go? "Assumption is the mother of all......?" GPS has made spotting ridiculously accurate and jumpers pretty much know that the spot will be good. Its a lost art for new students. Its pretty rare but even the GPS gives up occasionally, then its up to some newbie in the back to spot the load for 23 people. Good times. Oh and another favorite of mine is 2 mins before exit, people start asking, 'uh, like what are the winds doing, man?" after they walked past the posted winds aloft for the day on their way out to the plane.:smash:

FN FAL said:
Not much else to say about it other than it would probably be a good idea to sit in on a student ground school for the jumpers so that you have a pretty good idea of what is going on with the gear that people are wearing in the aircraft you are flying. Also, since you are wearing an emergency parachute, you probably might want to at least jump once, just to get over that scared feeling.
Scary Feeling? Thats all a mental problem! I say bring it on Your going to die some time right?

Do it Now!! So later in life you never say, I wish could have done that!

Remember you only have one life and it’s not a rehearsal very few of us have been given a second chance! So enjoy the one you have because it can be taken from you when you least expect it!

puddlejumper said:
Here's an excellent opportunity for someone looking to get into the business. I've flown for the folks at N68, they're good people. I think the B90 is probably one of Pauls from CSS though.

I went so Chambersburg years ago, and only a couple times....but had a damn good time there, and never felt that safety was compromised.

As for the KingAir....if it were a Fayard airplane, wouldn't he hire for it directly? I thought the pilots of his airplanes traveled with the airplane, not the DZ's that lease the planes hiring the pilots...?

Hand Commander said:
Yes! I love it when experienced jumpers land off and after walking back to the dz, proclaim, "what was with that spot? We were in F ing Bolivia!". Then the first question I ask is, "did you look before you got out?" That usually leads to a moment of silence. I would say that the number of times people landed off with me flying and it was entirely my fault would be counted on one hand. I don't intentionally put people off and I pay attention to who's on every load and adjust giving the lights accordingly, but when jumpers exit, I'm assuming they know the score.

Yes, spotting is a lost art. Most large DZ's don't teach anything about spotting. Hell, I started jumping in the days of 180's and 182's with no GPS. We actually used to fly over the DZ at 3k and drop streamers(some called it spotting tape), as well as 6-9k, to get a feel for the REAL winds. Most skydivers these days don't have a clue as to what a streamer is, other than a serious malfunction...but I still have a word with the pilot if they call a bad spot.

On the flip side....as a very experienced pilot, a former jump pilot, and a very experienced jumper.....when the green light goes on, I assume the pilot expects we will make the DZ no problem. Of course, if you have a 10 way RW exiting a Twotter, and you give them the light 10-12 seconds before the spot to facilitate their exit, it's understandable......but when the green light comes on(on any load other than the first of the day), and the first group lands WAY out....there's apparently something wrong with the spot.

Most skydivers these days don't know how to properly check the spot....but whether or not they are able to make the DZ also depends on certain things, like the canopies they are flying. Do you take that into account, as a pilot? If you have a group of RW'ers that are all flying Manta 288's exit first, as opposed to a group of freeflyers flying Xaos 98's....the ability to make the DZ is vastly different for the two. No, of course you don't take that into account....you trust the jumpers to make that determination. Ultimately, it IS their responsibility, but as we've already determined....spotting is a lost art.

As far as I'm concerned, if you turn on the green light and somebody lands off(aside from a low pull or cutaway), it IS your fault. I took that responsibility as a pilot, but I also take that responsibility as a jumper. If I land off, I take full responsibility for it......but then again, I have a lot more experience than many of the jumpers, and I started jumping in a time when spotting was taught, but much easier(spotting for a C182 with 4 jumpers as opposed to a Twotter with 21 jumpers). I know better than to exit before I can make the LZ(I am usually among the first group or two out, and am often the spotter for the load).

The really sad part is when an experienced jumper attempts to have a word with the pilot regarding the spot where they turn the green light on.....the pilot usually has a holier than thou attitude, and refuses to listen....unless they are also an experienced jumper.

Read FAR 105 to be aware of the legalities.The feds can hold a pilot responsible for jumpers penetrating clouds. At the DZ I flew at, the jumpers spotted themselves; the spot would vary widely between over the mountains or out over the ocean.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back