• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Diver-driver requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then the first question I ask is, "did you look before you got out?" by Hand Commander
You wouldn't last long at my DZ, GPS spotting where I jump is from 14.5, good luck seeing the ground most days. All the people I jump with are quite capable of spotting, I don't think it's a lost art, I think it's cost inefficient, 8.5 from your local C-182 (WDI's) is much different from 14.5 from a 1500 HP King Air 90 (GPS). Lol.

The hardest part of flying jumpers in larger aircraft is learning how to spot based on all the different canopy sizes, formations, and exit orders. If people land out, I take it personally. I immediately call manifest or ask the jumpers when I get down what happened and what needs to change. Most of the places I fly are not allowed to run jump run directly into the wind because of ATC constraints, so I typically flight north/south or west/east and offset into the prevailing wind component. Its pretty incredible what a tenth of a nm on the GPS equates to for jumpers. If the first group out is an 8 way team with a camera flier, the green light comes on early to give them time to set up. If the first group out is a solo or two way, the light comes on a lot closer to the dz. Same with turning the light off. I've put tandems out over 2 miles away on windy days and sometimes it could have been farther. Normally though, if the last guys getting out are experienced jumpers, AFF, or tandem with video, I turn the light off sooner and go around for another pass. I wasn't trying to sound arrogant in the other post, but I do want to make sure jumpers have some accountability for their actions. I take full responsibility for the plane and everything that comes out of it. My advice to anyone getting a jump pilot job is to always ask the jumpers (preferably an experienced one) about the spot, especially after the first load of the day (the test dummies). Be open to suggestions without giving attitude. You're not getting criticized, jumpers just want to be safe. Winds change. What worked in the morning might not be working in the afternoon. Someone else said something about flying every load like a check ride. Great advice. I've flown with guys who have a thousand hours in Otters, but from a pilot's view, they fly it like they have 50. You're most likely not going to do this forever, so why not take the time to work on being smooth, keeping banks shallow, holding a heading, and easing the nerves of some nervous passengers. Clouds are a can of worms. I'm from the Northwest so I've had my share. I'll always go "take a look" if I have room to climb VFR, but on more than one occasion, I've landed with full Otter loads, because the jumpers know better than to punch solid decks and don't want to hose the pilot:). If its worth it to you to intentionally drop people through clouds, be my guest, but you never know who's on the ground watching, and you should be prepared for the consequences. I've also had airliners inbound on the arrivals chime in on approach as the controller is pointing us out to them, "they're jumping over there? Its pretty cloudy to be doing that. They need to check they're cloud clearance requirements". Thanks, pal. Ever hear of parallax? tool.:D

It now sounds to me that you are a VERY conscientious jump pilot, might have got the wrong idea from the other post.:0

Hand Commander said:
The hardest part of flying jumpers in larger aircraft is learning how to spot based on all the different canopy sizes, formations, and exit orders.

My point exactly. When I'm on a freefly jump(first group out) on my Xaos 98, I can make the DZ when somebody on an RW jump on a Spectre 210 may not be able to make it(assuming an upwind jumprun). If I'm in the LAST group out, I may not be able to make it back on my canopy while the guy on the Spectre 210 can. Rear risers only do so much...being able to fly in deep brakes and let the wind push you is great for covering distance downwind, but rear risers(and sometimes front risers) are all you've got for better penetration upwind.

Most of the places I fly are not allowed to run jump run directly into the wind because of ATC constraints, so I typically flight north/south or west/east and offset into the prevailing wind component.

I'm actually a believer in the crosswind jumprun when you have a good sized DZ....it allows more jumpers to get out and make it back before a go-around must be called. Usually it allows the entire load to get out. When the DZ is small, with few outs....then the upwind jumprun is the way to go, but be sure to call a go-around when it becomes at all questionable whether everybody will make it back or not.

If the first group out is an 8 way team with a camera flier, the green light comes on early to give them time to set up.

Don't worry about the camera flyer.....if their worth a dam as a camera flyer they will not be holding up the 8 way in their climbout/count.... Of course, I say this as a camera flyer... :D

I've put tandems out over 2 miles away on windy days and sometimes it could have been farther. Normally though, if the last guys getting out are experienced jumpers, AFF, or tandem with video, I turn the light off sooner and go around for another pass.

The VIDEO part is the thing that most pilots don't think about....they think that since tandems pull at 5.5k or so that they can make it back from a 2 mile spot easily....they don't consider the camera flyer that waits until 3.5k or lower to pull(to be able to catch the deployment on video, then track away from UNDER the tandem that could have a cutaway). Good on ya for thinking about the video flyers.

I wasn't trying to sound arrogant in the other post, but I do want to make sure jumpers have some accountability for their actions. I take full responsibility for the plane and everything that comes out of it. My advice to anyone getting a jump pilot job is to always ask the jumpers (preferably an experienced one) about the spot, especially after the first load of the day (the test dummies). Be open to suggestions without giving attitude. You're not getting criticized, jumpers just want to be safe.

Glad you clarified....because you did sound like you had a holier than thou attitude in your previous post. Good advice for future jumper dumpers. Jumpers are not(with very few exceptions) out to prove anything, just looking out for their own, and all the other jumpers, safety.

I've flown with guys who have a thousand hours in Otters, but from a pilot's view, they fly it like they have 50. You're most likely not going to do this forever, so why not take the time to work on being smooth, keeping banks shallow, holding a heading, and easing the nerves of some nervous passengers.

I resemble that remark! :D Yea, I fly different when it's a load of experienced jumpers versus a bunch of tandems/students. A bunch of experienced jumpers enjoy a bit of a ride.....tandems/students just want a relaxing ride, since they're already really nervous.

Of course....there's always the trick where you put an experienced pilot in the right seat, and wear a sport rig while you're in the left seat....then when you get up to altitude you(as the "pilot") jump up, walk back to the door, open it, and jump out....all the while with a worried look on your face. It really freaks out anybody that doesn't know the guy in the right seat is an experienced pilot. I almost got fired for doing that....TWICE! :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back