Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

The Natural

Does anyone know the background to this crash?

It looks like a caribou with turbine mod, My first guess is a CG aft problem.

It saddens me to witness the death of our fellow brothers in flight and the destruction of a beautiful plane. Please only constructive comments, so we may learn something from this. As is likely someone here may know the pilots.

Rest in Peace.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/oldplanecrash.html

Took off with gust control locks engaged

A quick search on the NTSB site didn't show anything remotely like this accident on the date shown on the camcorder, but two days prior, it showed a Fairchild 227 crashing in a similar fashion in Hot Springs, Ark. Looks a bit like the plane in question. Maybe the camcorder date is wrong if it isn't the Caribou Crash? Just wondering. http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X15405&key=1 If not the crash in question, somewhat similar anyway. Sad, no matter what.

Yep, it definitely looks like the Caribou. Had to (painfully) watch it again to be sure.

Last edited:
the video looks FAKE!

Looks like an aircraft off M.S. flight sim (or a mod of one).
No tail number?
Plane crashes on todays date in 1992?

Just my opinion....

W.S.C.O.D. said:
the video looks FAKE!

Looks like an aircraft off M.S. flight sim (or a mod of one).
No tail number?
Plane crashes on todays date in 1992?

Just my opinion....

It's a real accident, it happened in Manitoba, Canada. That's why it's not in the NTSB. Strange coincidence on the date though.

Perhaps the most notable comment in the pdf report is a paragraph which states:

"During the post accident autopsy, a knob from the gustlock handle was found embedded in the captain's right wrist. The TSB concluded that the captain was attempting to operate the gust lock handle when the aircraft hit the ground."

That the pilot, the son of the owner and a less experienced pilot that the man originally slated to fly that mission, died during a preventable accident evoloution is unfortunate. But an important undertone that may be missed is the fact that he didn't stop trying to fix the problem until impact. He was unsuccessful, but he never gave up, even in the few short remaining moments of his life. He failed to ensure the controls were free prior to departure, and for that he paid with his life. But I do think that one paragraph underscores an increadibly powerful point that's easily masked by the drama of the accident, and that is merely that the pilot fought to regain the airplane right up until impact.

I do like the concluding comments to that article, which states:

"The message really should be clear to everyone--our safety system is strong, but it cannot withstand direct assaults caused by treating safety as an exception."

Gust lock? Watch the video, you can see the elevator moving as if the pilot rotated. Watch the outboard side of the horiz stab surface.

aucfi said:
Gust lock? Watch the video, you can see the elevator moving as if the pilot rotated. Watch the outboard side of the horiz stab surface.

Read the TSB report I linked to. As I understood it, the gust luck is setup such that you can have the lock engaged and still have elevator movement IF the lock was initially engaged w/ the elev in a non-neutral position. Once the elev controls move past neutral, the lock is engaged. That's probably why you saw movement.

Latest resources

Back