Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

Sad Irony:

My original Captain called in sick, and the last half of the trip was given to a junior ready-reserve guy. He was supposed to go off of reserve at 10:00 pm and was called at 9:59. He was in the parking lot getting into his car, when the poor b*****d got stuck with a three day! This assignment came on the day that he was notified that he was being displaced back to the right seat effective 1 Sep.

The irony part is that he's one of the best guys I've flown with in quite a while.

Let's hope this all turns around sooner rather than later.

Bout the same happened to my FO Monday. Reserve FO extended for a r/t. Called by CPO, and notified of furlough while on flightdeck. Not too motivated to work after that...

Not to make light of the terrible situation, but for some F/Os being furloughed, such a situation, other than the timing, may actually be welcome.

My last F/O was one of the unlucky few, but since he had relatively low flight time, he was hoping to get as many hours (and as much pay) as he could prior to being let go. He figured it would increase his options should another flying position open up to him prior to returning to ASA. I know it would be very difficult to do, but having a can-do attitude might make things easier to handle, even if it makes little actual difference. But, however each furloughee handles the situation, I feel for them all and wish them all the best of luck.

Bout the same happened to my FO Monday. Reserve FO extended for a r/t. Called by CPO, and notified of furlough while on flightdeck. Not too motivated to work after that...

WOW, I'd have said to the CP "thanks I didn't want to fly to XXX anyway" grabbed my stuff and went home right then and there.

WOW, I'd have said to the CP "thanks I didn't want to fly to XXX anyway" grabbed my stuff and went home right then and there.

Um, yeah......sure! The furloughs are not effective until Sept 1, so why jeapordize your job by walking off a trip 7 weeks out? Nobody is going to do that.

There is no irony here, guys. We are short staffed now, mainly due to high block hours and the summer season when there are a lot of sick calls, etc.

This fall (Sept) ASA's block hours are THEN going to be drastically cut to levels rarely seen in years and years! It is at this time that we will not need the amount of pilots we currently have. One months staffing needs have nothing to do with another. We need everyone now......In Sept, not so much. This is Delta's doing and only Delta!

BTW, I think the "New Delta" is the most poorly managed airline ever now! This is a beancounter airline only. Every flight out there is loaded to capacity, so lets cut them way back!!!! Sound business sense!

If ASA doesn't furlough more pilots, look for them to lower the monthly guarantee. You just wait and see, bt you know they're talking about it...

I may be spitting in the wind but maybe we should think twice before picking up open time!!
I recently flew with a very senior captain who commutes out of PHX. He was complaining that the reduced flights makes it harder for him to pick up open time.
We had a discussion about picking up open time while guys are fuloughed and he just didn't get it. He made some jabs at me one time saying "well, you FO's these days are too over qualified for the regionals anyway. Maybe it's best"
In the end, I said "I'm surprised they didn't teach you this at GIA. Seeing how much you paid for that job there, you'd think they would atleast teach you some code of ethics there...but then again, you paid $30k a year to fly a Beech".
He said "Well, after this leg we're done flying together"...I held up my schedule and said "You're right, I'm off for the next 3 days!"
That was the only time I have been smart with a captain. dikc deserved it though.

If ASA doesn't furlough more pilots, look for them to lower the monthly guarantee. You just wait and see, bt you know they're talking about it...

That would be hard to do, seeing how a 75 hour guarantee is in the contract that both the company and the pilots agreed to.

won't flying probably pick up over the holidays and we will then be very short staffed again?

Latest resources

Back