Discovery flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flydrummer

I'm going on a discovery flight this Friday at Van Nuys Flight Center out of VNY. I think have a good idea of what to expect but is there anything I should be prepared for? how much flying do they have you do? Is the CFI that takes you up usually the one you will train with? Anybody have good intro flight stories to tell??

-Drummer,
Every flight school is a little differrent, but the basics are this:
You can expect to (after a little instructing) taxi the plane, and do some hand flying on the basics (strait and level, turns). Althouth the instructor may explain what's happening on the takeoff procedure, he'll/she'll be doing it, not you. Same for the landing.
Will you have the same CFI for your training? Place your bet!
If you don't like how the discovery flight goes, try doing it at another SoCal airport/school.
Have a good time!
Captain4242

expect many spins, flips and engine failures.

dont eat before your go out there for at least 12 hours.

flydrummer said:
I'm going on a discovery flight this Friday at Van Nuys Flight Center out of VNY. I think have a good idea of what to expect but is there anything I should be prepared for? how much flying do they have you do? Is the CFI that takes you up usually the one you will train with? Anybody have good intro flight stories to tell??

Your flight is likely is be between .5 and .7 and this "discovery flight" is basically to take you up to see if you are interested in pursuing flight training. The CFI likely will have you feel along on the controls with him during the takeoff and landing and once you are in level flight at some point will hand the controls over to you and let "you fly" and enjoy yourself. The CFI that takes you up isn't necessarily the one who will do all of your flight training should you want to pursue flight training, this is your call. You are the customer and should be able to pick the CFI that you feel most comfortable with and feel that you will get a long the best with. Maybe you will like the instructor that does this flight, maybe you won't. Only you can make this call but don't feel as if you are obligated to have to stay with this instructor through the entire course of your training. Most of all, enjoy this flight and let us know how it goes when you get back tom.

enjoy

Don't know if you've been in a small plane before or not. You might get sick if it's bumpy but don't let it keep you down. Its common for people to feel ill the first time in a small plane. Same thing could happen at a later time when you start your instrument/hood work.

Good luck with the lessons... and getting to the airport with the traffic out there ;-)

Steveair said:
Don't know if you've been in a small plane before or not. You might get sick if it's bumpy but don't let it keep you down. Its common for people to feel ill the first time in a small plane. Same thing could happen at a later time when you start your instrument/hood work.

Good luck with the lessons... and getting to the airport with the traffic out there ;-)

It's been a while but I had been on some rides in a 172 when I was a kid. I grew up next to a GA airport in the Chicago area. The used to have air shows there and really cheap rides. Well, my dad paid for them so it was cheap to me :) Don't get me started on traffic out here! haha :eek:

Latest resources

Back