Discouraged and Unemployed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Xfr8dog

It seems that having 3 years of part 135 cargo in DC-3's (800 hrs) and Falcon 20's (1400 hrs) is not enough to get a job at Ameriflight. Im thinking i may have to take a job as an instructor again, or a traffic pilot, actually i'll do anything involving both an airplane and money. Ive also tried all the fractionals and the commuters that are supposedly hiring... have heard nothing from any of them, its been 2 months now.

Does anyone know a website pointing me the way to Instructor jobs? or more low time low experience jobs that this 3500 hour pilot might be able to get? i'd prefer the west coast but...

thanks in advance, as always...

I'd spam the NBAA guide's California operators, particularly the Falcon operators.

Or, you can instruct until EJA calls. I'll bet they call you, with that kind of experience.

Good luck!

Instructing jobs

Whattsa matter with your quals? You probably should get your ATP. DC-3 time? That's WAY cool! The "3" is an airplane I've always wanted to fly.

Three ideas: IASCO in Napa, California, http://www.iasco.com , trains pilots for JAL. It appreciates seasoned pilots. Great program, facilities, equipment and money. Extremely formidable organization, though. It wasn't for me, but it might be for you.

International Flight Training Academy in Bakersfield. Clone of ATCA in Goodyear, Arizona, where Lufthansa students are trained. IFTA trains ANA pilots and has been training for Alitalia. Great program, facilities and equipment. Less formidable than IASCO. Good money. I have a friend who instructed at IFTA and at Lufthansa who told me so. I've never been able to locate a website for IFTA. Your first contact is probably Mr. Fred Hagihara.

Finally, get in touch with Captain Mac at Flight Crews International, www.fcilax.com . Captain Mac is near LAX. Absolutely a first-class individual who shoots straight and will treat you like royalty. He doesn't have that many instructor openings but might have something with your quals. He's worth seeing personally. FCI costs $130 a year, but is worth every penny and is tax-deductable.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Hang in there, keep networking, and stay current even if it means flying a 172 for some scan time. It's tough to be out of work, but also remember to live your life and have a little fun with your time off as well. You have to live still!

IFTA Website

I took another run at searching for a website for International Flight Training Academy and found it!

http://www.airstaff.com/ifta/

The site has the address and phone number. I'd place a call and ask if Fred Hagihara is indeed the contact person.

Once again, good place to hang your hat even for the long term. Good luck with your job search.

Instructing at IFTA

If its an instructing career that you're looking for, IFTA in Bakersfield, CA (KBFL) has its good & less-than-good points. Mostly good, especially if you have a family to support and truly enjoy teaching motivated students (all foreign airline cadets).

I'm not sure if they are hiring at the moment, but it's worth checking into (see website for airstaff, above in bobbysamd post). They start instructors at $36K with some CFI time. Low level supervisors make $40-45K and some make $50-56K per year. It seems the less you fly there, the more $$$ you make. Really. When you teach, its exclusively in very well maintained A36 & Model58 Raytheon/Beechcraft. I've heard they have the best corporate cafeteria in all of Central Calif. too. Bakersfield may not be the choice of cities in CA, but their housing is very affordable. Newhires can easily purchase a home within the 1st year.

You won't fly to too many exotic places, however. They have a mundane list of "approved" airports. On the upside, no pagers, no sales involved, no weekend working--no kidding.

The place used to be a "clone" of ATCA in Goodyear AZ but has emerged as its own identity--maybe. Aside from ANA and its subsidiary, ANK, they train Alitalia and EVA students.

To anyone looking to get away from GA "public" instructing and change to teaching airline style procedures from the outset, give it a try. You don't like it, try teaching at an aeronautical U. for scant pay and underpowered trainers.

Some advice: Stay in a job that U truly enjoy and where your co-workers appreciate you. (but y'all knew that!)

IFTA

I'll vouch for the cafeteria!

You can't beat that money, although California costs more than other parts of the country and you'll likely need every penny.

A word of warning: Expect to pay an extra $500 or so on top of the regular license plate fee if you bring a non-California car into the state. They surcharge for cars that don't meet California emissions requirements.

Last edited:
Actually Bobby, that went away a few years ago in a class action lawsuit... now it's not nearly as bad. I brought a car from New Mexico, and paid like $70.

Latest resources

Back