Direct To

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

When a controller gives you a "Direct To" Are they talking about the airport of to the VOR. For example, a controller says,"Fly direct to LAX." In this case, it wouldn't matter because LAX VOR and the airport are co-located. However, what about when the VOR and destination airport have the same name but are located miles apart. Also, any controllers reading this, please note, it would help pilots out if specify airport or VORs in your clearances.

You have to ask the controller. A few years ago they tried to rename VORs that are off-airport but have the same name as the airport. They haven't finished yet.

Your instrument rated flying 414's and you don't know this?

When a controller gives you a "Direct To" Are they talking about the airport of to the VOR. For example, a controller says,"Fly direct to LAX." In this case, it wouldn't matter because LAX VOR and the airport are co-located. However, what about when the VOR and destination airport have the same name but are located miles apart. Also, any controllers reading this, please note, it would help pilots out if specify airport or VORs in your clearances.

ok, you're flying from SAN to LAX (for example). why would they clear you direct to lax vor as opposed to just klax? it's easier for them to clear you direct to destination as opposed to a vor anyway.
You'll be talkin to approach control when you're something like 35 miles out and you'll be on vectors, so don't worry about it.

Your instrument rated flying 414's and you don't know this?

I'm sure you deal with this all the time flying your 152 around the pattern just trying to make commercials standards so you can apply go gojet, so please enlighten us.

I do, and I spell each fix for you too. I can't expect everyone to know it all when you have been issued a reroute. I will not say "Moline VOR" when issuing a route via a DP or a V route or J route, but if you are landing Moline's airport and Get ORD2.SIMMN..MZV..KMLI I will specifiy Simmn direct Moline VOR direct Moline Airport. Definatly avoids any confusion.

ok, you're flying from SAN to LAX (for example). why would they clear you direct to lax vor as opposed to just klax? it's easier for them to clear you direct to destination as opposed to a vor anyway.
You'll be talkin to approach control when you're something like 35 miles out and you'll be on vectors, so don't worry about it.

So when you are over Seal Beach and loose your radios you fly to the VOR, and then start an instrument approach from there because the field is IFR and you don't attempt to vector yourself for an ILS.

In a situation such as this, I always ask.

I've heard both versions from controllers.

And, as an added bonus, asking doesn't cost a dime!

Latest resources

Back