Difficult Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bobbysamd
What gets me about this whole discussion is the emphasis on being the hail fellow, well met at the interview. To be anything but is a recipe for rejection. So, how is it that these individuals in question get past the interview, training, being FOs and finally to the left seat and get away with being douchebags? I always understood that during the interview you are being evaluated on your ability to get along with others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was different matter with the guy I flew with. Scott Air hired him because he had a type rating and he was available. In depth recruiting was not feasible because the owner of the aircraft was looking for other companies to manage the airplane besides Scott.

Unfortunately this guy had a bad reputation before he even set foot on the property. He had been fired from a few companies prior to working for Scott for, guess what, attitude problems. I found out the hard way that not all employers are as thorough in their recruiting process as I had hoped. It may sound harsh, but the day that this guy left Scott Air was one of the happiest days of my life.

SK:cool:

Think about it!

What gets me about this whole discussion is the emphasis on being the hail fellow, well met at the interview. To be anything but is a recipe for rejection. So, how is it that these individuals in question get past the interview, training, being FOs and finally to the left seat and get away with being douchebags? I always understood that during the interview you are being evaluated on your ability to get along with others.

One thing most new hires have in common is that they all start out as FO's. It is when they become Captains and for the first time in their lives, feel like they are gods. Normaly, but certainly not always, they are the PFT, ERAU, or Flight Safety guys that were not instructors. Just straight cash, fly, right seat, upgrade, and have never really made any kind of decision in their aviation career because it has always been made for them (regimented flight training or the guy in the left seat). They are very impressed with their abilities (because they have no life experience to relate to, i.e. real eng failures, icing, hydraulics, etc). If you told some of these guys/gals to take an aircraft from Fl to CA on their own, they would be lost with all of the things that go along with the flight. Personally, when I get stuck with an A hole, the first thing I ask him is if he got beat up allot in high school. When he looks at me funny and says "what the Fluck are you talking about", I politely ask him if he is going to be an A hole for the flight or the whole month. At that time, without exception, they all appoligize profusely. It is easy to do that when you are OFF probation so dont try it before! ;)

I yell and scream at my crews all the time, but then I have to buy all the drinks and beer for the rest of the trip. They don't seem to mind.......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back