Different Classes of NOTAMs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckman

I'm curious to know what the different classes of NOTAMs are; I believe there are three. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Buckman

There are indeed three types of NOTAMs.

NOTAM (D) - Used for enroute navigation...these notams would apply to navaid information, landing information, and most IFR related information

NOTAM (L) - Used for information only applying to a specific area/airport that is not (debatable) critical to flight. Information such as a taxiway closure or a runway barrier would be included in this type of NOTAM.

FDC NOTAM - Used for information pertaining to regulations, airspace, procedures, etc... For example the flight restrictions banning VFR aircraft right after sept 11 were issued in the form of a FDC NOTAM.

Ali

I understand Local, Distant and FDC NOTAMs and thanks for the answer. However, my real question is there are class I, II and III NOTAMs and I was hoping someone could expand on those a bit.

Thanks,

Buckman

Class I NOTAM's are distributed by Telecommunications Networks.

Class II NOTAM's use the Postal Service.

Class III - I don't know about - either that is the reference to the book form (GPO printing) or it's reserved for the old "pony express".

I believe these are ICAO terms and just deal with the transmission media for the NOTAM.

Can't recall any class III NOTAMS. Class II are published after two weeks of issuance. This book can be subscribed to from the FAA but it is rather expensive for the average pilot. Jeppessen subscribers will get most of them I believe if you read all the updates. The briefer will look them up for you on your request, otherwise you only get the most current ones unless he remembers some common ones. I'm not sure the FSS follow the system exactly but it's hard to know. I've had them give me the same NOTAM for longer than two weeks.

Latest resources

Back