Difference betweeen a Lear 31 and 31A?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few more differences....

The straight 31 that I flew did have... partial glass, fuel heaters, and did have digital variable authority nosewheel steering, but did not have the extra 75 gallons in the trunk (4124 lbs total)... so I guess it all just depends on the plane. There is a 31XR that holds the extra 500 lbs. Some Lear 31's are, red lined restricted to .78, as is mine, as compared to 31A MMO. Although, with the limited fuel pulling it back to .70 in the upper forties to go anywhere very far was quite common.

Some more differences ---- The straight 31 does have a different autopilot as well (the 530 AFCS). The pitot static system has minor differences. The 31A has has an electric windshield (good improvement). The mach trim as previously mentioned. The electrical distribution busses, both ac and dc are different also. Also, most of 31A's will already have the Raisbeck locker installed. Which I would have liked to have had if only a place to put crew bags.

The 31 is a great plane for shorter missions. It was a joy to fly, but going from Dallas to LA is usually not going to work in the winter time. My only complaint was that I wished that it held just a bit more fuel. It's not a whole lot better than a twenty series on range. You have to get it up to altitude. It will climb straight to the mid 40's without the weight restriction and wing buffet issues that the heavier lears have. Burns 1600 first hour, 1000 second or as low as 850 an hour total at fl 470 with the speed back (.70 - .72)..... Landing with about 800 lbs after a three hour flight. If you are going back and forth across the country the older 35 or an under powered 55 would probably be the way to go if you want to go with a lear. Or heck,,, money is no object, right... go for the LR60. Anyways, hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Lead Sled said:
Customers bought Lears to go fast and people didn't like the fact that the straight 31 had an Mmo of just .75M. It wasn't very long before Lear went back and reinstalled the mach trim system so thay they could raise the Mmo back up to where it is now. (FYI - the Mmo limit is due to the horizontal tail design, not the wing, and is shared by all 20 and 30 series Lears.)

'Sled

Seems awkward when the all the Twenty series has .82 limit without mach trim. The tail is definitely the weakest link, but the Mmo limiting factor on twenty series was the fact that it has the power to accelerate to mach buffet in cruise. As I understand it Vmo is what would be limited by the tail design. That's why on some twenty series lears you could accelerate to 359 knots above 14000 on a LR25 D model (50kts faster approx). When Lear put the century III wing w/ softflite on the 25D they also beefed up the tail.

.75 or .82 ---- It never seems fast enough does it??? : )

Last edited:
As I recall, mach trim only is a factor for hand flying. The 25D could go to .83 (or maybe .82, I can't recall) with the autopilot on, but only .74 when hand flying. This was because it didn't have mach trim.

Maybe it's the stick puller which is missing in the 31?

Incidentally, I've only flown a 31A (and not much in that), and I loved it. Modern avionics and autopilot in a Lear? Good times!

Palerider957 said:
Can anyone tell me what the major diffrences between the 31 and 31A are? What are the general impressions of the 31? What are real altitude, range, and profile numbes?

As always, thanks for your help.

The main differences:

TR's standard

Completely integrated EFIS system and FMS

Single point refueling

Those are the primary differences.

ultrarunner said:
The main differences:

TR's standard

Completely integrated EFIS system and FMS

Single point refueling

Those are the primary differences.

Our straight 31 has single point..so i'm not sure about that one. Maybe that isn't standard on the earlier ones?

UGAflyer said:
Our straight 31 has single point..so i'm not sure about that one. Maybe that isn't standard on the earlier ones?

Ya know, now that I think about, I think just the first 15 or 20 straight planes didn't have it. Then offered as an option, then became standard on the 31a.

I liked the straight 31. But like many owners, they naturally wanted it to fly missions for which it wasn't designed.

And trying to make south FL in the winter with a full load of folks often required a fuel stop. Oh well, no sweat off my back.. I didn't buy it...I just flew it...

ultrarunner said:
Ya know, now that I think about, I think just the first 15 or 20 straight planes didn't have it. Then offered as an option, then became standard on the 31a.

I liked the straight 31. But like many owners, they naturally wanted it to fly missions for which it wasn't designed.

And trying to make south FL in the winter with a full load of folks often required a fuel stop. Oh well, no sweat off my back.. I didn't buy it...I just flew it...
I really enjoyed flying the Lears. (Coast-to-coast and border-to-border plus the length of Canada three or four times a month for 8 years.) However, the happiest day of my life was the day we sold that airplane. It took me months to be able to get my head straight - it had developed a definite lean to my right shoulder. My chiroprator was bummed to - we were finally able to closeout my open ended workman's comp claim from having to drag all of the bags down that skinny isle and throwing them behind the seat.

'Sled

That breings to mind a good joke:

How do you tell a Lear crew? (It's not the answer you think.)

• They drag their suitcases over the furniture in the FBO. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back