• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Did USAir hard landing play a factor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The flight crew looked like a coupe of grey hairs. And the Faa is cracking down on low timers.

Looks like their barking up the wrong tree.

Well seeing as the US East average age is 57, that doesn't surprise me.

I'm just saying that it's all well and good to ream the guys out, but any one of us can make any size mistake, some people here need to remember that...

The news report, as accurate as that may be, says that nose tires blew, which led to a collapse of the nose gear. Now, I don't know of many planes that have nose wheel brakes, and unless they landed nose gear first, the abusive part of the landing should have been absorbed by the mains. To me, even a heavy set down of the nose should not have caused this incident. I think the investigation will show some kind of mechanical deficiency in the nose gear, possibly along the lines of improperly lubricated/packed nose wheel bearings. I will venture to say that the nose tires did not rotate freely, causing the blowout, which then led to the nose gear buckling under. Or a nose wheel first landing. But I assume that these pilots were a bit better than that. Now if only everyone would assume the same for me...

did i not read enough into the press release?

What was "it" that hit him on the head?

The news report, as accurate as that may be, says that nose tires blew, which led to a collapse of the nose gear. Now, I don't know of many planes that have nose wheel brakes, and unless they landed nose gear first, the abusive part of the landing should have been absorbed by the mains. To me, even a heavy set down of the nose should not have caused this incident. I think the investigation will show some kind of mechanical deficiency in the nose gear, possibly along the lines of improperly lubricated/packed nose wheel bearings. I will venture to say that the nose tires did not rotate freely, causing the blowout, which then led to the nose gear buckling under. Or a nose wheel first landing. But I assume that these pilots were a bit better than that. Now if only everyone would assume the same for me...
Watched an MD 80 flown by DL pilots do a nose gear landing in LGA, and they're the best pilots in the history of flying, if you don't believe me just ask one.

Latest resources

Back