• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Did the Mesa CEO Really Say This....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"In any case, anything he does say never really comes back to bite him . . . because he was "misunderstood".

I can't wait to see if "Mesa should enter the market and push Aloha out" can be misunderstood in court.

and fcuk mesa

I dont like JO any more than the next guy, but I dont get why some of us seem to be so disappointed by all these. Thats JO, thats what he does. He is a businessman, his job is to find the cheapest coefficent between supply and demand. I bet thats what he is referring to. Thats his job. Now, I dont think that it makes good business sense to disregard QOL, job satisfaction, attruition, and all that. But he is not your friend who betrayed you, he is not your brother, and he certainly isn't the guy who is gonna make you rich. I dont think that he is being coy about who and what he is. In a way, I dont blame him being a arrogant mother-fcuking, thoart-cutting azzhole, I blame the azzholes that run the Mesa ALPA not strong enough.

Last edited:
And I blame the azzholes in National ALPA not have an actionable plan to limit the supply of pilots. Anyone with 50K can be an RJ pilot someday. Ask yourself this: why are nurses salaries increase so much in recent years? Its because nursing school can't train enough nurses to fill the jobs. Maybe national ALPA can start lobbying for fewer and more strict flight schools. Fewer outputs of student pilots will increase the pay for all pilots!

It's certainly pretty well believed that JO did say that, although I don't know of anyone who heard it or has seen video tape. It also sounds like something he would say and, if asked, I'm sure he would repeat it for you (or at least he would have).

The questions now are - does he still have a stack of resumes on his desk and what is he going to do about it if he doesn't? Expecting him to actually come out and say "things have changed, I don't have any resumes, I need to be nice to the pilots" is probably asking too much. But small things, you no longer need the $50 to interview, training housing is paid etc. are positive changes.

On the other hand if we're waiting for Mesa to start trying to retain 4+ year pilots that will be a long wait - Mesa's business plan STILL relies on "expensive pilots" leaving and being replaced by "cheaper pilots" - the question is, how much "less cheap" will those pilots be.

And I blame the azzholes in National ALPA not have an actionable plan to limit the supply of pilots. Anyone with 50K can be an RJ pilot someday. Ask yourself this: why are nurses salaries increase so much in recent years? Its because nursing school can't train enough nurses to fill the jobs. Maybe national ALPA can start lobbying for fewer and more strict flight schools. Fewer outputs of student pilots will increase the pay for all pilots!

Hmm. That is an interesting idea. I think stricter rules on flight schools would be good. I'll give you 2 words that say why we need to be careful about how few pilots we train. Foreign Pilots.

No it should be at least Part 135 mins for all operations. that would get rid of hiring people that arent really qualified. Oh and alot of the blame can be set on those who continue to APPLY to mesa.

And I blame National ALPA not have an actionable plan to limit the supply of pilots. Anyone with 50K can be an RJ pilot someday. Ask yourself this: why are nurses salaries increase so much in recent years? Its because nursing school can't train enough nurses to fill the jobs. Maybe national ALPA can start lobbying for fewer and more strict flight schools. Fewer outputs of student pilots will increase the pay for all pilots!
He has a point. Nurses, with the degree have to pass State Certification programs which are almost universally administered by some for profit organization with ties to professional labor. These private businesses with governmental power are a racket of the first order and make all kinds of requirements up out of thin air. For example my wife had to prove she never failed an exam she never took in a foreign (barely third world) Country. It was kind of hard to meet the requirement since the place where the records were stored had an armed rebellion going on and guys with guns in the street. However, we finally got the official statement with a fancy seal attesting to her non failure of a test she never took.

The Federal Government would probably not hand over power to issue Federal Certificates to a third party administrator - but with the FAA being all about user fees to get a source of revenue independent of Congressional oversight anything is possible for money, I guess.

Compared to the Medical Profession, the standards in the Piloting Profession are much higher already. Find me a Doc that has to sit for their Board Exams twice a year, retain a First Class medical and have someone looking over his shoulder while they perform surgery. Most Doctors barely have texts that were written this year, much less current on a 14 day cycle.

Our error.... we might be smart enough to fly planes but our skills in picking professions apparently are lacking.

Compared to the Medical Profession, the standards in the Piloting Profession are much higher already. Find me a Doc that has to sit for their Board Exams twice a year, retain a First Class medical and have someone looking over his shoulder while they perform surgery. Most Doctors barely have texts that were written this year, much less current on a 14 day cycle.

But you are mixing your arguments here. I am talking about the supply of pilots; the factories of these accelerated airlines programs, the standard-less of the Part 61 operations, etc. You are talking about the upkeeping of the profession, the proficency of the profession. How proficent we are as pilots has nothing to do with our pay (it might save your life, but not pay). The United pilots didnt get 45% less proficent overnight and hence the paycut. Brad Pitt doesnt get 20mil a movie because he is a good actor; Its because there is only one freaking Brad Pitt, know what I mean.

It's certainly pretty well believed that JO did say that, although I don't know of anyone who heard it or has seen video tape. It also sounds like something he would say and, if asked, I'm sure he would repeat it for you (or at least he would have).

I wish every time our CEO spoke directly to our pilot group ALPA could set up a video camera to tape it, transcribe it, and make both available on the ALPA site.

Ah well.

Latest resources

Back