Did the Mesa CEO Really Say This....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NatureCalls

I have heard from several people that Jon Ornstein really said...

"Pilots paychecks are too high at Mesa. Because as long as pilots keep applying, were paying too much. Once people stop accepting positions here, that's when we'll know the pay is just right."

Is it true?

Am i reading that wrong? LOL
It doesn't make sense.

The guy's an idiot, but he's actually got a point on this one. If someone else is willing to do it for less, you paid too much. Sure, the pilots suck, but the public doesn't know that, and there's been zero news on RJ's crashed by low-time pilots.

This is why we have a union. Too bad it's not doing what its supposed to.

I have heard from several people that Jon Ornstein really said...

"Pilots paychecks are too high at Mesa. Because as long as pilots keep applying, were paying too much. Once people stop accepting positions here, that's when we'll know the pay is just right."

Is it true?

rumor has it - YES, I was told a similar version and that he said it to one of the first Mesa J4J classes (furloughed U guys) in 2003 or there about.

You can also quote him saying, "if you [pilots] stay longer than 2 years, you are costing me money."

Maybe he missed the memo on this. The regional airline industry IS at this point. Regionals can't find pilots anymore that will work for the wages they're paying. Pilots ARE stopping to accept positions.... they have better choices elsewhere.

Sorry, venturing away from Mesa just a tad, but... We had a recent meeting at my airline between the president and the pilot group. During a Q and A session, one of the junior first officers commented about how low the pilot pay is. Our company president responded "If you want to make more money, then UPGRADE. If you still want more money, fly some overtime"

These beancounter managers just don't get it.

Ornstein's a self-centered capitalist. He acts in his own best interest, not yours. Never forget that and you'll always see him for what he is.

My advice is not to use him in your career persuit. If you erronously choose to, ditch him at the first opportunity.

Latest resources

Back