Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Butters said:
It has nothing to do with "too many uptight asses trying to prove him wrong."
It has everything to do with a rediculous story.
Just because someone tells a story, why do we all have to believe it?

Nobody is asking you to believe anything. Quit being a stickler for details, this isn't a checkride, it's a message board. Take it for what it is; a funny story.

Midnight Flyer said:
Nobody is asking you to believe anything. Quit being a stickler for details, this isn't a checkride, it's a message board. Take it for what it is; a funny story.

Okay, okay... Everybody take a Valium. I was simply responding to the post about why the "Diarrhea in the Regionals" thread wouldn't survive.

This story was much different than the funny story about PILOTS having to punch a grumpy in a freighter. That's it.

Relax, folks. You can believe what you want. Free country, last time I checked. Just giving my opinion, but you can bet I will think twice before giving it again.

Good day.

Last edited:
viper548 said:
maybe this urban legend should get sent to Mythbusters
man, the red-head on that show is SO hot....

so, to the ignorant (such as myself) that don't have a funny poopy story, what are you guys talking about when you say it takes a certain amount of air pressure to start your aircraft? wanna give me a dummy's walk-through?

The starter on meduim to larger jets is whats referred to as an "air turbine starter" or ATS. It has a 2 1/2 inch diameter pipe that has in the neighborhood of 40 psi air from a source, usually bleed air from an APU. In the start sequence, a valve is opened and the air spools up the ATS, which is geared to the engine and spools up the compressor section, the high pressure compressor if the engine is a multi spool design. The bleed air is low pressure/high volume variety.

Using this system, you don't have to have high current wiring in the engine compartment.

If your APU is inoperative, then you have no bleed air and will require a huffer cart to supply the air volume to get you started. After you get the first engine started, then you can cross bleed to start the second engine.

The air coupling on the start cart is almost the same as the lavatory dump hose so you can see the confusion for the ramper who most likely isn't the brightest lamp on the ramp.
Get the gist?

Mythbusting (?)

There could be some truth to this story after all... While 40 PSI coming from a huffer cart doesn't SOUND like a lot, consider the VOLUME of air that those things will move. Why do ya think huffer carts are so friggin' loud? Lotsa VOLUME. That's why we don't just start the things with a Craftsman air compressor or something. For anything air-powered, it's a function of cubic feet per minute. If you go shopping for an air compressor, you'll see that different models are rated for x.x CFM at xxx PSI. You can find a $100 P.O.S. model that claims it WILL put out 90+ PSI, but not very many CFM's at 90 PSI. The quality (and therefore expense) of the machine is a function of its DISPLACEMENT, not it's pressure. Remember, the pressure of most piston engines compression strokes only produce 80-100 psi, regardless of the engines' displacement.

I highly doubt the 40 psi (regardless of CFM) from a huffer cart would be enough to blow the sh!tter from it's mounts, but I guarantee it would be enough to spray blue juice and poo around, especially if the spring on the flapper in the lav bowl was not keeping it all the way closed anymore.

real or not, it wouldn't surprise me. Hulas doesn't train people when they agree to work for his sweatshop.

As a veteran ramper who has done numerous huffer starts on transport category commercial aircraft ranging from CRJ's to 767's it is entirely impossible to mate a huffer nozzle to the lav port.

Myth Busted.

Carry on!

Latest resources

Back