• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dials or Glass? Your Preference?

• You Prefer Dials (ex. 737-200/DC-9)

Votes: 108 15.0%
  • You Prefer All-Glass (ex. B 737NG)

Votes: 610 85.0%

• Total voters

Heavy Set

For those of us who have been flying for awhile, glass/EFIS is new and can be a bit intimidating... Most new pilots have been playing Microsoft Simulator and are fully familiar with glass cockpits before they step foot in an actual aircraft. Seems like many next generation cockpits require more "monitoring" than actual "flying" (at least after takeoff and before landing).

So, if you had a choice, what would you choose - an all analog aircraft (say a 737-200 or DC-9-30) or a full glass cockpit (say an Airbus A320 or B737-800) and why? Let's assume short-to-medium hall routes. Let's also assume that basic GPS is installed in the analog aircraft. If you fly all-glass, do you get bored at times and wish for more dials and switches?

Last edited:
Hey! I was the first vote. I can't imagine why anyone would pine for an antiquated instrument presentation. I've flown the spectrum of instruments, and love the instant comprehension of EFIS. Having said that, though, I haven't flown a more integrated, fine flying aircraft than the 737-200. I hear the same thing from the DC-9 guys.

So. I guess the answer is to retrofit EFIS into old-ass aricraft. Just like UPS does.

Having been around long enough to have flown a significant amount in each, it is no contest. An all glass cockpit wins hands down. It is far less workload, particularly at times when that is exactly what you need. Less workload. This leads to a safer operation. Boredom is not a problem at this stage of my career. I'll take being "bored" over the alternative any day.

Is there any comparison?

There's no substitute for Situational Awareness, and that which is afforded by glass is head and shoulders above anything you can get with steam guages.

FMS Speed, NAV, Prof to MDA... it's a beautiful thing. :)

Definitely Glass!!

I agree 100% with those in favor of an all glass cockpit. Being able to see where you are at at all times on your moving map, see the airport or waypoints and crossing restrictions in front of you is awesome and makes the job much easier as well as safer.

Glass is the only way to go!!

I'll choose glass anyday,

However, that being said, I'm glad I got to fly the 737-200 and her classic steam dials. I'll always remember her fondly.

Great replies - I hope to hear more. I started this poll because I have a friend who used to fly for United (A320 and 737-300) before he was furloughed. He now flies for MESA (J4J situation) on the Dash 8 and it is completely analog with zero glass - and he LOVES it. Claims it is like flying a big Piper Warrior and he doesn't miss the glass at all (he does miss the paycheck though...).

Look forward to more opinions...

how 'bout the glass cockpit with round dials??
gotta LUV it :eek:

I would take a choice in between, the MD-83/88 with FMS. It is the best of both worlds. An airplane that has most of the new features of glass while retaining the ability to hand fly with real control feel. I would say the MD-90EFD as this is an all glass aircraft with the same DFGCP as the MD-80 but there are only 29 of them, and those are in Saudi Arabia. I would choose this as it retains most of the control feel and systems of the original DC-9 while having the protective features of a glass airplane.

I currently fly the 777 and it is a great airplane but my hand flying skills are eroding and that, to me, is the biggest danger of glass.

Typhoonpilot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back