• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL's MAD WORLD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During our strike in 97, Airborne's ops were bursting at the seams from all the UPS volume they were carrying.

The extra freight we carried in 97 was ABX freight because of the strike. UPS customers left UPS and became Airborne Express customers because they where pissed off at UPS. We carried no freight labeled UPS!

I and the IPA would not cross a legal picket line. Like Brownie said, if you guys went on strike, the shippers would quickly switch to UPS and FedEx and when they did, the volume would no longer be DHL volume it would be our volume and therefore I and the IPA would carry it.

BTB, if you think this could never happen to you remember the giant you going to partner with DPWN, which ownes DHL. DPWN made 663B in profit last year DHL is one of just 600 companies they own.They could buy UPS with ashtray change!

Again, if you'd pay attention...

It's my response to some folks at Brown A. Telling those of us at AStar, that we really should not fight this thing because there's no way to win against the Brown/Yellow freight train AND B. Giving us all the never thought of admonition that we should maybe update our resumes and and start sending out apps.(Woo hoo...thanks for THAT tip!! Yall must work for Kit Darby.)

That's WTF that is.

Good luck with that dude..

"Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time... Only thus can a weaker country cope with a stronger; it must make up in activity what it lacks in strength." - Gen. Stonewall Jackson

Well then wtf is this?[/quote]

Wasn't Stonewall shot by his own troops, and died as a result? Maybe you should quote some winners instead. History doesn't remember losers.

BTB, if you think this could never happen to you remember the giant you going to partner with DPWN, which ownes DHL. DPWN made 663B in profit last year DHL is one of just 600 companies they own.They could buy UPS with ashtray change!
Well so far they haven't been able to use that ashray change to bribe thier way out of this whole mess with state of ohio yet + if they're as powerful as you say they are i'm sure they would have just made fdx and ups thier personal bitch so they can run the whole show without any interfernce. Wait a minute if my math is correct to make fdx and ups thier vendors they have to sell two ashtrays. Maybe it's just cheaper to sell a gray/yellow toilet rather than an ashtray.

Once again, I and the rest of the IPA pilots are truly sorry to hear about what's going on up there. But some of you guys make it seem like it's our fault and want some form of compensation from the IPA. What do you want us to do, quit so you guys can take our place at UPS flying "your" freight?

Thanks for that safe "non" answer to my direct question....it was like pulling teeth...

So...If you guys go on strike and you are just a contractor for DHL....you wont mind if this contractor(who already has a scope clause with DHL) crosses your picket line to fly the DHL freight.....

Hmmm...I wonder if they will get the brown freight mixed up with the yellow.....maybe the packages will be mustard colored by that time and we wont know if it is Brown or Yellow....

Do you see what I am getting at? It is going to be a mess that you wont be able to handle.....and that is what they want.

Well then wtf is this?

Wasn't Stonewall shot by his own troops, and died as a result? Maybe you should quote some winners instead. History doesn't remember losers.[/quote]

But I thought I learned about Stonewall in grade school and college in my "history" books. People learn from history, winners or losers. Corporations learn from History. The History of DHL Airways will not be forgotten by DHL or UPS....hmmmm.

Well so far they haven't been able to use that ashray change to bribe thier way out of this whole mess with state of ohio yet + if they're as powerful as you say they are i'm sure they would have just made fdx and ups thier personal bitch so they can run the whole show without any interfernce. Wait a minute if my math is correct to make fdx and ups thier vendors they have to sell two ashtrays. Maybe it's just cheaper to sell a gray/yellow toilet rather than an ashtray.

DPWN has planned on spending 2.5b to make this to UPS. And its not how powerful I say they are its what their stock reports say. It make take more than that but they have the money! All freight will be moved by ACMI carriers in the future.

DPWN has planned on spending 2.5b to make this to UPS. And its not how powerful I say they are its what their stock reports say. It make take more than that but they have the money! All freight will be moved by ACMI carriers in the future.

Well at the rate they are going out of business these days, it will probably be in the FAR future.

You make the assumption that UPS will make us a contractor. I disagree with you. Just because something bad happened to your pilot group don't think that the same will happen here. You need to truly understand the UPS corporate culture of TOTAL control over every aspect of their business. I'm quite confident that this control will "protect" the IPA from the fate that you think we are destined to follow.
I respectfully disagree. Although DHL owned "only" 49% of Astar, they controlled virtually EVERY aspect of their operations, from the types of equipment we operated down to the management clowns who were running the show. John Dasburg didn't take his morning $hit until he'd checked with DPWN to see how high and what color.

That's how it is in ANY business that has only ONE customer.

Because 35% of their revenue was generated from non-DHL flying, DPWN's influence over ABX was somewhat less. ABX was able to pursue customers and aircraft acquisitions it deemed necessary to compete in the ACMI market at large, not simply the rag-tag fleet that Astar was saddled with.

Why do you think DHL was so displeased with ABX? It was because Joe Hete wasn't about to let ABX fall to the classic "pimp-hoe" relationship DHL demanded from it's primary contractor. That have may brought about DPWN's scorn at the time, but it's why they'll survive this debacle and Astar will not.

Don't forget, Browntothebone, that UPS started their operation using contractors and it worked pretty well for them. It was the FAA, and not UPS management, that forced them to bring their flight ops in-house. Whether the coming administration would look favorably towards any "re-structuring" of that arrangement in the interest of "maintaining competitiveness" is debatable, but not out of the bounds of possibility.

If I were to offer just one word of advice to my friends and both UPS and FedEX, it would be this;

"Don't think for one minute that what happened to DHL's pilots can't happen to your own"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back