DHL pulls the plug on Astar's.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IHaveAPension

DHL pulls the plug on Astar's DC-8 route from JFK-BRU-BAH. According to the MEC hotline, the newhire class will continue for now, but future newhire classes and future DC-8 assignments are up in the air. Listen to it for yourself 800 DHL 9717.
Good luck Astar guys, hope this is not the beginning of DHL playing you guys against ABX for routes/growth.

I already predicted/ mentioned this over a year ago. ...that DHL wouldn't just use Astar and Airborne.. They will give the flying to Gemini, Northwest, Kitty Hawk, Kalitta, etc. I think that I mentioned the word nieve to some Airborne pilot.....just because he is not yet familiar with the ways of DHL.

Last edited:
Airbus300 said:
I already predicted/ mentioned this over a year ago. ...that DHL wouldn't just use Astar and Airborne.. They will give the flying to Gemini, Northwest, Kitty Hawk, Kalleta, etc. I think that I mentioned the word nieve to some Airborne pilot.....just because he is not yet familiar with the ways of DHL.

Do you mean the Airborne guy thought that only ABX and Astar would do the flying for DHL in and to/from the US? Any word on who will be doing the route?

I think the conversation had something to do with the belief the guy had that DHL wouldn't use lots of contractors because UPS and FEDEX do not operate that way. Also something about better on-time performance if you use just one or two companies??? I don't recall exactly. The route went to a Kalitta 747.

Last edited:
I certainly am sad to hear that DHL has let that trip go to another operator. I understand that your scope grievance is still ongoing and hopefully will be resolved in your favor. I also understand that you will be starting contract negotiations shortly. Any idea or thoughts on if Astar management is going to try and use the line that since you are an ACMI carrier that you should be compared to the other ACMI carriers for pay and benefit purposes? Or do you think they will still say that their peer group is FedEx and UPS?

I don't know the answer to your question....but the routes that DHL awards are being awarded to pilot groups making more and less than what we do. They like preventing any one pilot group from having too much power. The more they spread out the flying, the better they feel.

[It seems there will be plenty to go around.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is true there will be plenty to go around, but this is not what we or you should like to see happen. As scope clauses continue to get sh** on, it will be all the worse for you when you leave your "time building airline" and move on to a career airline.

Not only are we now sharing work with ABX, NWA, DLH, Kallita and Gemini, now you want us to share our work with you. How much more will there really be to "GO AROUND". On a straight out bid you will win everytime against the likes of ABX, ASTAR, NWA. We have held our groups together, fought our fights for good wages and benefits and now you want to fly here as well so you can "bulid some time" . Take a hike!! You will feel different once you move on and someone tries to sh** on your contract.

Just my .02

Just tired of people putting in their .02 about how there is plenty to go around. It does not matter how or what I feel anyways. The reality is that we do not own crap anymore, I know this.

I apologize for the flaming.

But in all reality...how can you scope new flying that you do not own? You are a straight ACMI carrier now. I can totally understand that you guys can be pissed if you lost routes below pre-buyout levels, but new flying is in a different category.

Actually, Astar does/should own it. DHL signed an agreement stating that ALL DHL CORE PROUCT will be flown by PILOTS on the ASTAR PILOTS SENORITY LIST.

<<ALL DHL CORE PROUCT will be flown by PILOTS on the ASTAR PILOTS SENORITY LIST.>>

So just to clarify your position does this "Include" or "Not include" the flying done by ABX Air prior to the purchase of ABF?

Latest resources

Back