• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in talks to sell US Unit to FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depending on what the plans are, some of us may have to make some difficult choices ourselves. We may, for instance, have to chose between going with the aircraft to Astar if the plan involves an asset sale, or staying with ABX and Hete.
Interesting post, and I agree with most of what you say. But I'm a little confused by your last statement.

Doesn't an "asset sale" usually include select assets and rolling stock, without specifically addressing the employees?

I know that's how it worked when UPS bought Challenge a few years ago. The planes (and I think the ramp space) went to UPS and the cargo went with the planes, but the employees (the pilots, at least) stayed behind. There's still some bitterness down there over the way they (UPS and the IPA) handled that.

So what gives? Do you guys have language in your contract that prevents ABX from transferring assets without some sort of job protection?

Last edited:
Yes, we have partial asset sale job protection provisions in our CBA. Only time will tell if it will be needed.

So what gives? Do you guys have language in your contract that prevents ABX from transferring assets without some sort of job protection?[/quote]

Yes, we have partial asset sale job protection provisions in our CBA. Only time will tell if it will be needed. So what gives? Do you guys have language in your contract that prevents ABX from transferring assets without some sort of job protection?
[/quote]

CS, first off, Whistlin' Numbnuts isn't with us anymore. Second, nope.

Interesting post, and I agree with most of what you say. But I'm a little confused by your last statement.

Doesn't an "asset sale" usually include select assets and rolling stock, without specifically addressing the employees?

I know that's how it worked when UPS bought Challenge a few years ago. The planes (and I think the ramp space) went to UPS and the cargo went with the planes, but the employees (the pilots, at least) stayed behind. There's still some bitterness down there over the way they (UPS and the IPA) handled that.

So what gives? Do you guys have language in your contract that prevents ABX from transferring assets without some sort of job protection?

UPS did NOT take any of Challenge's planes. UPS bought CAC solely for their extensive route authority in Central and South America. The IPA had nothing to do with UPS' decision not to take the employees.

UPS did NOT take any of Challenge's planes. UPS bought CAC solely for their extensive route authority in Central and South America. The IPA had nothing to do with UPS' decision not to take the employees.

This is true. That's an urban legend that gets a lot of airplay.

Hvydriver said:

HvyD, are you saying that our partial asset protections will not be needed? Or are you referring to something else with the “Second, nope.”??

Hvydriver said:

HvyD, are you saying that our partial asset protections will not be needed? Or are you referring to something else with the “Second, nope.”??

FH,

The second is nope, we wouldn't have anything in our contract that would preclude you guys from coming with the jets, should something like that happen. I recall reading in your contract that there was a certain percentage of a/c per fleet that could be sold without the company (ABX) sending pilots with them. I don't think that's any concern though. Our lyin' CEO (who can lie just as good as yours) said he's no longer interested in dealing with Hete at all.

FH,
....Our lyin' CEO (who can lie just as good as yours) said he's no longer interested in dealing with Hete at all.

We both know that if and when DPWN/DHL suggests to him that he should sit down and work out a deal he'll be at the table.

Note my statement Eric. It starts off with "Our lyin' CEO". :)

I noted it. :) Actually I don't think he's lyin' in this case. I rather suspect is has been "suggested" to him not be interested, so he's not. If and when that changes he'll be at the table with bells and whistles on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back