Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL failed. Return of Airborne ILN only option?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last edited:
DHL owns the entire airport in Wilmington, Ohio. Some of the cost savings would be from the elimination of all the costs of owning and running your own airport. Not only does DHL pay ABX to repair the runways, mow the grass, plow the snow, and change the light bulbs in the taxiways, they also pay to maintain the ILS's, staff the tower, staff the fire house, provide security, maintain parking lots, administer the airfield operations, etc, etc. On top of those expenses, DHL pays ABX a 1.75% over ride as the contractor that operates the airfield. At CVG, obviously the government pays all of those costs.

DHL paid $6 or $7 million a year in CVG as landing fees. $6 or $7 million is a fraction of what DHL pays to run ILN.

As far as the workers moving, a quick of your Google Earth shows that the two airfields are 52 miles apart. Many of the CVG workers never had to move when ILN ops began due to the close proximity of the two facilities and I suspect (especially with the Wilmington housing market headed down the toilet) that many workers would simply reverse that and commute to CVG.

The sort facility at CVG would require no expansion as the volume that we currently carry in ILN is below the max capacity of the abandoned CVG sort.

Some of the savings from a Plantation HQ closure are being realized as we speak. The Plantation workforce has been slashed and there is an obscene amount of vacant office space at the DHL HQ down there. DHL administration was very top heavy and expensive.

By shifting the flying, they are tripping over dollars to pick up dimes (don't most airlines do this?). The reason DHL is losing money in the US (if they really are at all) is NOT due to the airlines that do their flying. This is simply a brazen move to create a de facto merger when they both realize that a literal merger would be illegal.

They would still be paying those costs its called landing fees. In the ABX offer ABX would pay all the related airport costs and still operate for less than UPS is going to charge.

ILN had its own workforce already in place when DHL shutdown CVG. The workers for the most part (ILN) took the uniforms off the backs of CVG folks as they headed to the unemployment line or back to the ghetto - er, I mean Cinci U.

100-1/2

ILN had its own workforce already in place when DHL shutdown CVG. The workers for the most part (ILN) took the uniforms off the backs of CVG folks as they headed to the unemployment line or back to the ghetto - er, I mean Cinci U.

100-1/2

When DHL shut down CVG, at least 750 Astar employees saw their jobs move to ILN. A number of ramp workers eventually got jobs in ILN as well.

They would still be paying those costs its called landing fees. In the ABX offer ABX would pay all the related airport costs and still operate for less than UPS is going to charge.

As I said in my post:
"DHL paid $6 or $7 million a year in CVG as landing fees. $6 or $7 million is a fraction of what DHL pays to run ILN."

Glad to see ABX offer to give back some of the tens of millions of dollars that they charged DHL to run the airpark. I think it's just a little too little and a little too late, though.

DHL may not have kiosks for their master Walgreen's plan. While the company said they will continue to service the DHL account, after the courts asset sale there may be nothing left. Oh, this is after the executive team robbed the company coffers, figures.

One recent light of hope for the company came in February, when it announced a deal to provide its kiosks to thousands of Walgreens retail stores nationwide where DHL will offer its services. The Walgreen kiosks were in addition to 900 kiosks that Cyphermint powered at OfficeMax locations.
The company, through its interim management, will keep servicing the DHL contract, Baldiga said.

http://www.wbjournal.com/news41548.html

So much bad happens to every company that has dealings with DHL. I think DHL can officially be called the Bad Luck Schleprock of corporations. Watch out UPS.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back